Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,404   Online: 988

Thread: Haze or not?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Haze or not?

Hi,

THis will probably be a difficult question to answer, but maybe somebody has an idea as to what I am seeing.

I recently picked up a newer 90mm Fujinon f/5.6 lens, to replace my f/8 version. The lens looks perfectly clear and clean as it should, however when I turn the lens at an angle I can see what appears to be a minor haze on the inner front element. This only appears at certain angles and under certain lighting conditions. When viewed straight on, or under sun light nothing is there, but under either an LED flashlight or a flourescent bulb its faintly visible again only at sharp angles of nearly 90 degress to the front of the lens I am not sure if its an optical illusion do to internal reflections due to the angle at which I am viewing the lens or not. I tried the same thing with several other lenses I have any though I cant produce the exact same results, I can see something similar. I tried to take a photograph of it, but without any luck.

Any ideas as to what I am seeing? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanx!

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are probably catching a refraction or something from where lens elements are cemented or like you said, an air interface. Haze is detected by looking straight through a lens with a bright light held just off axis far enough so you can't see it. Any dirt or haze will catch the light and scatter it. Sounds like you have a very clean lens.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    I’ve noticed the same “haze”, using the same detection methods you describe. When I first detected it on a used lens, I started checking my other lenses, including two brand new lenses. And they all had a similar “haze” when viewed under a very sharp light off axis. Viewed straight in, there was nothing. So perhaps it is in the cement? Under actual picture taking, everything is OK.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would like to thank you both for the comments. I was thinking it might be something like both of you described. Though, getting a several hundred dollar lens and then seeing something like haze started me worrying a little. I think I can rest a little easier now.

Thanks!

Gary

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin