Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 686

Thread: Darlot Lens

Shooter
    Multi Format

Darlot Lens

I just picked up a lens marked only "Darlot Opticien". It appears to be a wide angle design. Focal length is about 10" or slightly less. Coverage is substantial; from the ground glass image this lens looks very promising on 7x17. There are three levers equidistant around the barrel which operate swing-in stops. That gives four stop options including wide open. Don't know what the stops are (and haven't measured the apertures yet). Lens appears to be two groups, possibly symmetrical, but don't know. Each group shows two bright reflections and one dimmer reflection.

Can anyone offer any insights into this lens, it's design, attributes or history?

Thanks,
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    check:

http://www.nabble.com/Woodandbrass-f15036.html

there are posts about the lens there.

I have a similar or perhaps the same lens 3 flip stops about 240mm. the lens appears to cover big stopped all the way down or used wide open for effect. I have never exposed film with my lens but I plan to one day.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The "flip-lever apertures" seems to have been a Darlot trademark. So that doesn't really give much information.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hey, That Thang Gotta Hemi?...

The 1890 Voightlander catalog includes the Darlot lenses. The Wide-Angle Hemispherical lenses are listed as being rectilinears with 90-degree coverage. They also possess the lever diaphragms. Focal lengths (listed as "back focus") are 3", 5", 8", 12" and 16" with coverage for 4x5", 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, 10x12, 14x17 and 17x20 respectively. There is a 2 1/2" back focus version listed simply as for "stereoscopic" use.

Focused at infinity, my lens measures about 9 3/4" from the lensboard to the ground glass, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. It does cover 7x17. I have yet to check it on 14x17. Mine may be an earlier or later version for all I know, but it does appear to be a wide-angle hemispherical.

Got me a hemi, man!
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin