Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,897   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Film holder manufacturers

Who are the volume manufacturers of film holders these days, and where are they located? For that matter, what are the correct company names?

The only company I've been able to find is Fidelity Manufacturing Co. in Los Angeles, CA, USA.

What happened to Lisco, Riteway, Elite, and Regal? All gone? Are there any others left?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The shop that produces Lisco, Riteway, and Fidelity used to be located right next to Calumet in Los Angeles. Calumet owns the company. It was essentially a one man operation. That gentleman (whose name escapes me right now) retired a few months ago. That cast the whole operation into jeopardy. The word from my contacts at Calumet is that they will no longer be producing large format film holders. Kind of a bummer to say the least.... Again, this is hearsay from my friends who work at Calumet, but they have told me to stock up....

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Who are the volume manufacturers of film holders these days, and where are they located? For that matter, what are the correct company names?

The only company I've been able to find is Fidelity Manufacturing Co. in Los Angeles, CA, USA.

What happened to Lisco, Riteway, Elite, and Regal? All gone? Are there any others left?
    Last edited by ineffablething; 08-15-2006 at 03:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I use Toyo holders in 4x5 and 8x10 and find them very well made albeit a bit pricey. To bad they do not make them in 5x7 as I would stock up on these as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bruce,

There's a company called, AW Bent, that makes large format film holders... I'll have to dig out the proper name and address later on.

Will post it here.

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cacopheny - do you mean AW Brubaker (AWB)? He specializes in very finely handcrafted wood film holders for ULF sizes. Same with S&S film holders. Their film holders are quite pricey, because they are hand and custom made. Worth it no doubt, but still pricey.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ineffablething
    The shop that produces Lisco, Riteway, and Fidelity used to be located right next to Calumet in Los Angeles. Calumet owns the company. It was essentially a one man operation. That gentleman (whose name escapes me right now) retired a few months ago. That cast the whole operation into jeopardy. The word from my contacts at Calumet is that they will no longer be producing large format film holders. Kind of a bummer to say the least.... Again, this is hearsay from my friends who work at Calumet, but they have told me to stock up...
    Oh, ouch. I had a feeling that there was just the one company making all the (commercial) film holders. And now that one is leaving the field. That answers one question anyway.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    Cacopheny - do you mean AW Brubaker (AWB)? He specializes in very finely handcrafted wood film holders for ULF sizes. Same with S&S film holders. Their film holders are quite pricey, because they are hand and custom made. Worth it no doubt, but still pricey.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have his website in my bookmarks any longer.

All I can say is that AW is a very, very busy fellow but he does produce a gorgeous product from the 2 that I've seen.

So, if you have the website address, would you kindly post it for Bruce?

Thanks.

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Oh, ouch. I had a feeling that there was just the one company making all the (commercial) film holders. And now that one is leaving the field. That answers one question anyway.
    Bruce, the Toyo 4x5 and 8x10 holders may be manufactured by someone other than Fidelity - whether it's Sakai itself, I don't know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I understand that Sakai Special Camera Co. Has the Toyo film holders made by a sub-contractor in Japan. Basicly a small one man shop with a couple of part time assistants. Sounds like what we had here. I had no idea the U.S. brands were all under one operation.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin