Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,982   Online: 1048

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Broke my Graflok Back- Question

I broke a Graflok back for a later model (top rangefinder) Crown Graphic 4x5. The two metal "handles" on the focusing panel which is part of the metal surrounding the spring is broken. It looks like it could be repairable IF the right parts could be located which I doubt.

The question is could I put a regular back from an earlier (side rangefinder) version Crown Graphic 4x5 on the later model? It looks like only two screws would have to be removed to get the back off the older camera and 4 screws to remove the "frame" of the Graflock back off the newer camera. If anyone knows for sure if this can be done or not and/or whether the job can be done by a non-professional please let me know.

A guy selling a Graflok back on ePay is suggesting the Graflock back may be used to "upgrade" from a standard back on older Crown Graphics. I notice that there are NO regular non–Graflock backs listed for sale.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

BTW-
    The spring on the non-Graflock back seems to be stronger and tighter than the Graflock which is fine with me.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to post your message over on graflex.org, that system specializes just in the graphic cameras and I would bet that you would get an answer from someone that has had your specific problem, in the mean time, I have replaced many different backs on these cameras and with exception of maybe drilling a couple of screw holes most of them fit with no problem.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have a Pacemaker Crown Graphic. Pacemaker Speed and Crown models were introduced in the 45, 34 and 23 models in 1947; the Graflok back was introduced in 1949. Graflex offered an upgrade backin all sizes from that date. For the 45 model, it was catalog #9291 "Graflok Back less 4-sided viewing hood, with Ektalite, for Pacemaker Graphics with Graphic backs - $21.95."
    If you are going from one Pacemaker model to another it will work fine - I've done it many times and it is the simplist conversion you can conceive of.
    Incidently, Pacemaker Graphics were available with Graflex backs too.

Bart

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin