Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,631   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Red dot artar coverage

Hello,

I know i could google this question, like all other questions. But i seem to find a little to much diffrent answers than i want.

Would a 16,5 inch Goerz Apochromat Red Dot Artar 9,5 cover 11x14? the add says it will cover 8x10 but i have heard that it should cover 11x14 is this correct? I was thinking that it would be a nice normal length lens.

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 420 / 16 1/2 will not be usable on 11x14, wide open at infinity.

Get closer, and stop down, and yes, it will work.

A 480 / 19 " will be OK, wide open, at infinity.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    According to the goerz info I have that lens throws a 420mm image circle good for 9x12.
    Climbabout
    Quote Originally Posted by bherg
    Hello,

I know i could google this question, like all other questions. But i seem to find a little to much diffrent answers than i want.

Would a 16,5 inch Goerz Apochromat Red Dot Artar 9,5 cover 11x14? the add says it will cover 8x10 but i have heard that it should cover 11x14 is this correct? I was thinking that it would be a nice normal length lens.

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    The 420 / 16 1/2 will not be usable on 11x14, wide open at infinity.

Get closer, and stop down, and yes, it will work.

A 480 / 19 " will be OK, wide open, at infinity.
    You probably speak from experience, while I speak only from general principles, but shouldn't it cover 11 x 14 in even at infinity when stopped WAY down (f/64 or so)?

I have no wish to argue with someone who almost certainly knows more than I about this but I should be olbliged if you would give me your opinion/ share your knowledge about this -- the more so as I am anout to fire up my 12x15 Gandolfi for the first time. Th4e 300/9 Nikkor just covers, with no movement, by about f/32.

Cheers,

Roger

The Artar lenses are supposed to cover only 46 degrees. I wouldn't guess that a 420mm would cover at infinity- and many people report that the circle of *coverage* is larger than the circle of *sharpness*. Close up should be another story. The 300mm Nikkor-M, which unlike the Artar is a Tessar design, covers around 60 degrees.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    You probably speak from experience, while I speak only from general principles, but shouldn't it cover 11 x 14 in even at infinity when stopped WAY down (f/64 or so)?
    Artars have lousy angle of coverage. On my 8x10 I get better coverage with my old 12" f6.3 Dagor (70-something degree angle of coverage) than I do with my 19" Red Dot Artar (40-something degree angle of coverage).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    My 16 1/2 artar covers 7 x 17 with some movement. Never had a problem. So.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As i found searching google. Diffrent answers.

And i would like it to cover on all stops, So this wouldnt be a good normal lens as i wished it would be.

I will have to find something else.

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Large Format
    The circle of illumination of an Artar or any dialyte-type lens is actually quite large, however only about half of that circle is sharp. The size does not improve much with smaller apertures. My own experience is that a 16.5" Artar will cover 11x14, but with any movements the corners quickly turn to mush. A 19" Artar or the like will perform resonably well as a standard lens for 11x14 or 7x17, but a 24" would be ideal.
    Last edited by JG Motamedi; 08-22-2006 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Lense...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An old guide was to choose a Dagor equal to the long dimension of your format,
    an Artar for the sum of the base and height. So, for 11x14, a 14" Dagor and 24" Artar would work very well. A 14" convertible Symmar would be a good choice.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin