Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,694   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Guide price for Gandolfi tripod?

I've been offered a Gandolfi tripod. It looks to be the genuine article, it follows the same pattern as a modern one, but is painted black. He bought it along with a Taylor Hobson 1/4 plate camera and is thought to be from about the same era.

Any ideas as to a fair price? or how I could confirm it's authenticity?

Thanks

Martin
    Last edited by wiseowl; 08-22-2006 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added a little.
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Martin
    I bought 2 black (ebony & nickel) Gandolfi tripods on eBay about 3 years ago. I think they cost me £50 for the pair. They are a Major and a Minor. The Major is ok and I use it, the Minor is a bit grubby, both are well used. Neither of them had the Gandolfi white plastic nameplate although the Minor had the name stamped on the wood. I phoned Ed at Gandolfi and he told me that they were usually made for the Police or armed forces and they often left the factory without nameplates.
    I hope this is of use
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    I've been offered a Gandolfi tripod. It looks to be the genuine article, it follows the same pattern as a modern one, but is painted black. He bought it along with a Taylor Hobson 1/4 plate camera and is thought to be from about the same era.

Any ideas as to a fair price? or how I could confirm it's authenticity?

Thanks

Martin
    Astonishingly little. Twenty or thirty quid, unless it's in perfect condition or has a maker's plate. Gandolfi also made these for many other companies. I have one I was given by a friendly shop because it was missing a butterfly nut and looked ratty.

Cheers,

R (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Astonishingly little. Twenty or thirty quid, unless it's in perfect condition or has a maker's plate. Gandolfi also made these for many other companies. I have one I was given by a friendly shop because it was missing a butterfly nut and looked ratty.

Cheers,

R (www.rogerandfrances.com)

What sort of weight will the Minor and Major support?

Thanks

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    What sort of weight will the Minor and Major support?

Thanks

Lachlan
    Well, my first Major (30+ years ago) allowed me to sit my then fiancee on it and wind it up with her sitting on it. I wasn't too concerned about vibration, obviously. My current Major will just about hold my 12x15 inch Universal tailboard, though it's at the limit. It's not a weight limit, just vibration. I'd say, realistically, if you're worried about vibration, 15-20 lb., but a lot depends on the camera design.

Minors, dunno. Never owned one.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Well, my first Major (30+ years ago) allowed me to sit my then fiancee on it and wind it up with her sitting on it. I wasn't too concerned about vibration, obviously. My current Major will just about hold my 12x15 inch Universal tailboard, though it's at the limit. It's not a weight limit, just vibration. I'd say, realistically, if you're worried about vibration, 15-20 lb., but a lot depends on the camera design.

Minors, dunno. Never owned one.

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks for the information - it seems like not many tripods could come close in the secondhand price/weight supported ratio!

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Minor is a neat tripod. Also good for a 4x5 SLR.

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-26336.html
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info.

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    35mm
    Over the darkslide of the moon of Roger's then fiance

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh and sorry - Regards to you Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin