Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,432   Posts: 1,596,855   Online: 1199

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    There's a story told about Ansel Adams (6'2") and Edward Weston (5'6") photographing together at Lake Tanayka. They set up the 8x10s in almost identical places, and then looked at each other's ground glass.
    "I like my composition better," said Ansel.
    "So do I," replied Weston, "but I'm not tall enought to set the camera that high."
    The flip side of this was Frank Lloyd Wright. He was about 5'8" and designed his buildings for his height (not the height of the guy footing the bills). In particular, Taliesin, his home in Wisconsin, had very low ceilings in the hallways leading to his office. He could sit at his desk and watch his taller and younger assistants hunch over as they walked down the hall to see him. I suspect that he enjoyed that view about as much as the view out the windows, which was beautiful indeed ;-)

Stories aside, I'm about your height Bruce (both of us would feel at home in Taliesin). I can't remember the last time I wanted to set the camera higher up than I can reasonably operate it. I've more often wanted to set it in mid-air a few meters into the river valley where I could see around the trees, or midway up the side of the ravine where the slope is about 80 degrees. Other than that, if I can't scramble around on the rocks and find a perch that I like, I just move on down the path.

There are way too many compositions out there that want me to work them -- I don't spend much time on the ones that don't want to cooperate!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Stories aside, I'm about your height Bruce (both of us would feel at home in Taliesin). I can't remember the last time I wanted to set the camera higher up than I can reasonably operate it.
    That's funny - I quite often want a taller tripod and a ladder. And I'm 6'4"!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin