Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,802   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LF pack: Something to stand on.

I'm not an unusually short person (5' 6-8") and I find myself out with my 4X5 press camera and would like to stand on something because of the elevation I would like to shoot at.
    I'm wondering a couple of things:
    Do others find this problem, or does your ability to raise the lens provide sufficient height for your style of shooting?
    I'm not going to carry a step stool but wonder if there is a camera bag/box that will support the weight of a person to stand on -- that is also quite portable?

Thankyou in advance,

Images
    There's a story told about Ansel Adams (6'2") and Edward Weston (5'6") photographing together at Lake Tanayka. They set up the 8x10s in almost identical places, and then looked at each other's ground glass.
    "I like my composition better," said Ansel.
    "So do I," replied Weston, "but I'm not tall enought to set the camera that high."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Five gallon hard plastic bucket from the hardware store. If you're lucky, you can get one that chain was shipped in free. If not lucky, you can buy one in the paint section for a few dollars. It's cheap, has a handle, and you can use it to carry stuff until you turn it upside down to stand on.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't a folding stool be lighter then any case?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unless you're a total lard-ass, a Pelican case should do the trick. They're intended to be strong enough to withstand baggage apes at the airport, and even a car driving over them. Then it does double duty, and you'll not have to worry about someone snatching your gear while you're under the darkcloth - you're standing on it!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bruce,

Having seen movies on the lives of Edward Weston and Ansel Adams, last time I bought a car I tried to get an all wheel drive vehicle whose roof rack would support a sheet of plywood, 8x10 camera, tripod and me. 150 # capacity seemed about top. My doctor the car sales people and I all had a good laugh. I noticed that RobertP bought a Land Rover Discovery which would do that, but I was not comfortable with their Consumer Report service ratings.

If you are not going far from the car a small cooler with a flat lid and non skid tape from a marine store can be a double purpose item. If you have lots of room a three foot step ladder is useful.

I am curious about your measurement "I'm not an unusually short person (5' 6-8")" My waist line goes out and in with diet, but I haven't found anything that makes me grow two inches taller. How do you do that?

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can purchase a step stool/tool box from hardware stores. basically a tool box you can stand on with short legs. One of our members uses one. He carries the camera on the tripod and meter, film holders etc in the tool box when working in the shallow water of the Great Salt Lake. It lets him set it down but the legs keep the box out of the water and works as a seat also.On some parts of the lake you can walk for miles and only get your ankles wet.

Several years ago I saw a pack that was an strong aluminum box on a pack frame to carry delicate survey equipment in remote areas but I don't know where to find one.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what you need

Box/Rucksack

I particularly like the illustration in the case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b0_12_sb.JPG  
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    P.S. I have back problems from the Marines and years in construction. I am 5' 10" in the morning and 5' 9" in the evening (5'8") if I have been lifting heavy lumber in the day. This is due to compression of the discs durring the day and streaching at night. If you drive to work, sit all day and need to adjust your rear view mirror when you drive home, your back is shrinking. Ain't getting old fun?
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874

I am curious about your measurement "I'm not an unusually short person (5' 6-8")" My waist line goes out and in with diet, but I haven't found anything that makes me grow two inches taller. How do you do that?

High heeled sneakers?

Seriously though, when I was doing quite a lot of architectural work using a Sinar which came in a hard case – just like the one Lee Turner showed – I often had to stand on the box to get the right composition, and I'm 6' tall. Those Sinar boxes will take a lot of punishment, and carry your kit safely, but I wouldn't want to have to carry it any great distance. In fact now my back is buggered I wouldn't want to carry it at all.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin