Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,646   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodenstock 600mm apo ronar

I'm thinking of picking up this lens for my Calumet 45N. I have no idea how to mount or use this typs of lens on my camera, though. Any thoughts?
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good Gosh man !! You'll need a a tripod for just the lens--they're huge--I had one--sold it--too big for me to play with--I got an Artar instead in the aluminum mount--much lighter !!! When I sold it I had to ship it truck freight--dang it was big !! Slightly exaggerating but it is a big heavy chunk of glass !
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good Gosh man !! On a 4x5---I see a nose dive coming --will it even mount on a 4x5? I have a 480 mm APO Ronar (barrel) that I'll sell ya that is way smaller and lighter !
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh, too much for me to handle? I would have no idea how to mount it. It's probably way longer than I need -- just tempting when the price is low!
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Swing by Levines. They've seen 'em before.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could do that. Levine's is like a candy store. I need to leave my wallet at home when I go there. I was wistfully eyeing a gorgeous 8x10 Linhof (for only $6k) last time I was in there.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul,

I would also suspect that the Calumet will not have sufficient bellows for the 600mm
    Apo Ronar. I am almost positive that my Linhof Technikardan 45S has insufficient bellows- it has 500mm of bellows.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info -- glad I didn't hastily buy the lens!
    Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Doc,

I don't think your camera will handle that lens... you'll need LOTS of bellows length! 1200 mm for 1:1!!!

Btw, Sherpas are no longer included in the purchase price of the lens! Nor, the 1/2 ton truck!

Jos,

Do your friends NOW call you Mr. Atlas?

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul, I recently sold mine. I shipped it packed box-in-box, with styrofoam peanuts around the lens and between the boxes. Light boxes, though. The parcel weighed a little over 8 pounds.

When thinking about a long lens, always keep in mind that for "normal" lenses (not telephoto, not retrofocus) flange-to-film distance at infinity is approximately the lens' focal length. Apo Ronars are normal as normal can be.

And now I understand why people who shoot ULF tend to use lenses that are normal (or shorter than normal) for the format.

Cheers,

Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin