Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,309   Online: 943

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why are Wista lensboards off-center?

Lensboards for the metal field Wistas, that is. I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't find it. Why is the lens placed below the center?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own one now but I've had two 45SP's in the past. There are non-Wista brands of lens boards made for the cameras that have the hole centered. I've used both and never found any real difference in practical use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wista's are built arround Linhoff lens boards which are off center. I think it is a hold over from the Linhoff design with no real meaning on a Wista.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's to allow more rise or drop of the front standard. More drop used as is and more rise by putting the board in upside down. At least thats what I can do with mine. Maybe the way the Tecknika was put together held the board off center so the hole was offset to accomodate that. Just a guess.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was wondering about that too. The off center hole would drive me crazy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely a hold-over from Linhof Technika camera compatibility. (Wista wanted you to be able to use your Linhof lenses on their camera without any change).

So the question should be: why did Linhof do it this way?
    You'd have to go way back to the postwar 1940s to find out...

Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    By putting the hole below the center line of the lens board, they get front "fall" for free. If I thought about it long enough, I think I could convince myself that this allows a more compact camera design.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When the lens is below center on a Linhof board, the lens should actually be centered on a Linhof camera, so you get more front rise potentially. With large lenses, the lenses are usually centered in the light trap, though, so they are above center for Linhof, but they usually have enough coverage that it doesn't matter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin