Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,869   Posts: 1,629,343   Online: 759

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New/Old lens

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

New/Old lens

I couldn't pass up this lens. It was only $11.00! It's a Gundlach 4x5 S. in shutter. Looks to be a convertable. The glass is clean and the shutter works on T, B ,I, and 1/50th. Any info on this lens would be helpfull. Thanks.
    Can't seem to upload any pic's. Try later.

Stay Focused....or Soft Focused!!

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the lens say anything more than 4x5? What shutter is it in?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The lens says Gundlach 4x5 SMY. The shutter is the old numatic I believe it's called with the two cylinders on either side.

Jim

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Hope you are not planning on making large enlargments from those negatives unless your into soft images!

Ive used many old Gundlach lenses for 8x10, and you can notice a nice unsharpness to the whole image even when contact printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    jim,

i am making 16x20 enlargements of my soft focus work ( just got the first batch back a few days ago ) and they look beautiful.

have fun with your new lens!

-john

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm gettting into soft focus so I'll see what this little lens can do and let everyone know. Thanks. Check out the pic.

Stay Focused....or Soft Focused!!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 07-16-2007 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey Jim. In a recent junk box there was a 5X7 Gundlach in a barrel of the same vintage. It's a lowly RR. Only one element present in mine The threads measure about 35mm accross so if it's the same as yours I'll send it to you. With RR's that vintage you can mix and match cells. The 57 front would give a little longer focal length. Maybe 7 12/ instead of 6 1/2
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Hey Jim. In a recent junk box there was a 5X7 Gundlach in a barrel of the same vintage. It's a lowly RR. Only one element present in mine The threads measure about 35mm accross so if it's the same as yours I'll send it to you. With RR's that vintage you can mix and match cells. The 57 front would give a little longer focal length. Maybe 7 12/ instead of 6 1/2
    Jim, thanks for the reply. Nice to hear from someone I respect. ( I appreciate everyone's input by the way). On further inspection I noticed that it said on the aperture scale "W A". Don't know if this means anything or not. It looks to be a cemented doublet. I shined a light in the cells and I saw two bright lights. I can't remember how to tell lens configurations. If you only use the rear cell which has the number 10 on it it looks to focus on the wall at 10". The threads front and rear are 32mm. What do you think?

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, it should be 2 cemented doublets. The 5X7 is definitely 35mm across so I guess they're different. Don't know what the WA was referenced to. Maybe I'll put the single on the 810 and see what it does.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Yes, it should be 2 cemented doublets. The 5X7 is definitely 35mm across so I guess they're different. Don't know what the WA was referenced to. Maybe I'll put the single on the 810 and see what it does.
    Jim, I'm making a board for my 4x5 right now. I will post a photo of shots with this lens when I get one. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin