Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,991   Online: 855

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine says made "by" and not made "for" also on the front plate below the lens board.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham
    Not kidding it's hard to see! Still I found it – 144860 – but the plate on the front definitely says "made by Eastman Kodak Co, Rochester NY". Thanks for the help.

Richard
    According to the list I have, 144860 would have been built in 1924-1925 and indeed then it was built by Eastman Kodak - by the Folmer & Schwing Dept of EK.
    I expect that after 1906, when EK bought Folmer & Schwing and moved it from NYC to Rochester, Eastman's surviving large format manufacturing was consolidated in the F&S Department. With that capability there, after 1926 with the forced spin off of the F&S Dept into Folmer Graflex Corp, EK subcontracted with FG for their large format needs.
    In addition to the cameras note that other large format items like 8x10 film holders are stamped made by Fomer Graflex for Eastman Kodak.

bart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bart Nadeau
    According to the list I have, 144860 would have been built in 1924-1925 and indeed then it was built by Eastman Kodak - by the Folmer & Schwing Dept of EK.
    I expect that after 1906, when EK bought Folmer & Schwing and moved it from NYC to Rochester, Eastman's surviving large format manufacturing was consolidated in the F&S Department. With that capability there, after 1926 with the forced spin off of the F&S Dept into Folmer Graflex Corp, EK subcontracted with FG for their large format needs.
    In addition to the cameras note that other large format items like 8x10 film holders are stamped made by Fomer Graflex for Eastman Kodak.

HI Bart

Many thanks for that – just the info I wanted.

Your theory about the hiving off of F&S seems eminently plausible, and would explain the change in the makers' plate. So we can assume any 2D with a plate stating "made by EK" would be pre-1926.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham
    HI Bart

Many thanks for that – just the info I wanted.

Your theory about the hiving off of F&S seems eminently plausible, and would explain the change in the makers' plate. So we can assume any 2D with a plate stating "made by EK" would be pre-1926.

Richard
    Richard-
    I'd go by the serial number. The court ordered spin off occured in mid 1926. According to the list I have, serial numbers below 150,000 are F&S Division EK; those above are Folmer Graflex Corp.

Bart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Incidental beneficiary!

I have 135865 with 22 stamped in various locations. I have a second body, but during the repaint process (why on earth white paint?), they obscured the serial#. 135xxx says "by EK", the other says "for EK by FG". Thanks for the info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Humm, that's interesting. According to the list I have the 135000 series would fall between 1923-1924 but those 5000 numbers aren't specifically accounted for.
    When I finish the time machine I'll go back and find out for you.
    bart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got room for a passenger? Simpler times have their appeal.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm reviving this three year old thread instead of starting a new one on the same subject...

I've liberated a very well used 8x10 Kodak 2-D from long neglect. The little identifying plate on the front reads.....

Kodak View Camera
    No. 2-D
    Manufactured in USA for
    Eastman Kodak Co.
    by
    GRAFLEX INC.
    Rochester 8, New York USA

the serial number is: 452499

I'm guessing that this dates it to sometime between 1946 and 1955 but would like to pin it down a little bit...can anybody narrow down the date of manufacture?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    From my copy of the Graflex list:

4474xx – pacemaker speed – 1947
    452903 – 4x5 pacemaker -- 1947
    453426 – 4x5 pacemaker speed – 1947

Images
    8x10 2d is a different beast than the pacemakers.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin