Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,237   Online: 882

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Dating my Kodak 2D 8x10

No, I'm not talking about an alternative lifestyle.

I'm curious if there is a way to date the manufacture of my 2D from the serial number or otherwise. I've searched the internut to no avail, learning only that they were made from 1929 to around 1950.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Kodak maybe they have some ideas! :-) Otherwise the Chicago Photographic Society could help. Also they have a lot's of cameres on and the year of the make!

http://www.chicagophotographic.org/indexmain.shtml

I wrote a letter to them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    I'm curious if there is a way to date the manufacture of my 2D from the serial number or otherwise. I've searched the internut to no avail, learning only that they were made from 1929 to around 1950.

Yes I'm another 2D owner who'd like to know how old his camera is – sheer morbid curiosity! Mine has a serial number inthe 200s so I would presume a fairly early one, but not knowing the total production of these cameras, I can't be sure. Did Kodak Use a seperate numbering system for the various different formats?

I can't find any answers online.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might try the George Eastman House instead of Kodak. GEH has a very good collection of cameras and knowledgable staff.

The Kodak patent museum was donated to the GEH some years ago. I believe Todd Gustafsson there is the technology curator, he will be able to help if anyone can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an interesting place to look. It has an illustrated article on the 2d (the "d", it states, stands for 'dark finish'), but, alas no specifics on how to date a particular camera. Still...it's a really nice site.

http://www.fiberq.com/cam/index.htm
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since the Kodak 2D was manufactured by the Folmer & Schwing Division of Eastman Kodak until 1926 when that division was spun off as the Folmer Graphic Corp and then, after the 1945 reorganization, by Graflex Inc, I believe the 2-D's serial number is a Graflex s/n. Certainly it works for the two I have. The older, marked as built by Folmer Graflex for EKC, is s/n 333745, the newer of the two is s/n 407056 with a built by Graflex Inc. for EKC. According to a list I have, 333745 would have been built by Folmer Graphic between 1941 and 1945; 407056 between 1946 - 1948.
    The list of serial numbers I have is a xerox of page 14 from something by Richard Fowler but I don't remember what. The s/n are grouped in 2 to 5 year blocks from the start of production in 1887 until the end in 1973.
    Over on the Graflex.org site they have a Q&A board where people help each other date their Graflex's. Someone with the screen name "Gandolf" apparently has the actual s/n list on a far more accurate basis than the gross one I have but he has not posted any responses for many months. Apparently blocks of numbers were assigned for the production of a given production run for a specific product.
    bart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bart Nadeau
    Since the Kodak 2D was manufactured by the Folmer & Schwing Division of Eastman Kodak until 1926 when that division was spun off as the Folmer Graphic Corp and then, after the 1945 reorganization, by Graflex Inc, I believe the 2-D's serial number is a Graflex s/n.

Mine has a plate stating that it was manufactured by Eastman Kodak, and as I stated earlier, it has a serial number in the 200s. I thought the design originated with Century?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham
    Mine has a plate stating that it was manufactured by Eastman Kodak, and as I stated earlier, it has a serial number in the 200s. I thought the design originated with Century?
    Well, the builders plate stating Eastman View Camera 2-D manf. for Eastman Kodak Co. by Folmer Graphic Corp, Rochester NY etc. should be on the front of the front standard, facing out, below the lens board.
    There are 2 and 3 digit numbers stamped on the front of the extension rail on on the extension rail that enabled matching the loose parts to the camera or getting matching replacements, for example the newer one of mine is stamped 185 in several places.
    The six digit serial number is stamped on the left side of the rear standard, facing up, as you face the ground glass. It is hard to see because the rear of the camera/ bellows frame is directly above it .
    bart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bart Nadeau
    Well, the builders plate stating Eastman View Camera 2-D manf. for Eastman Kodak Co. by Folmer Graphic Corp, Rochester NY etc. should be on the front of the front standard, facing out, below the lens board.
    There are 2 and 3 digit numbers stamped on the front of the extension rail on on the extension rail that enabled matching the loose parts to the camera or getting matching replacements, for example the newer one of mine is stamped 185 in several places.
    The six digit serial number is stamped on the left side of the rear standard, facing up, as you face the ground glass. It is hard to see because the rear of the camera/ bellows frame is directly above it .
    bart

Not kidding it's hard to see! Still I found it – 144860 – but the plate on the front definitely says "made by Eastman Kodak Co, Rochester NY". Thanks for the help.

Richard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin