Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,746   Online: 896

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Steinheil Antiplanet No 17273

Not long ago I bought an ancient 8x10 tropical folding camera that came with an interesting lens that's engraved "Steinheil in Munchen No 17273" on the barrel and "Gruppen Antiplanet 64mm" on the flange. The glass has approx a 2" diameter and is 2" inches long and came with an extension tube and a waterhouse stop. I'd appreciate any information anyone has or knows of regarding these lenses.
    Thanks
    Victor
    Last edited by Jersey Vic; 09-05-2006 at 07:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you tried Google?

http://www.antiquewoodcameras.com/gruppen.htm

I'll dig out some older German data later.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks Ole; I have seen this and am looking for any additional information anyone might have i.e.- any user experiences -or examples- anyone might have with this or similar lenses, overall impressions, more well known comparable lenses, etc.

Thanks in advance
    Victor

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Victor,

To the best of my knowledge there are no "more well known comparable lenses", not even any "less known similar lenses". Steinheil was alone in making the Gruppen-Antiplanet, and noone else has ever made one. It's about as unique as the Goerz Hypergon, and a lot less collectible...

To tell you the truth I've been trying to get hold of one for quite a while, just to see what it's like. I've ended up with an amazing assortment of just about everything else instead!
    Norway

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Victor,

To the best of my knowledge there are no "more well known comparable lenses", not even any "less known similar lenses". Steinheil was alone in making the Gruppen-Antiplanet, and noone else has ever made one. It's about as unique as the Goerz Hypergon, and a lot less collectible...

To tell you the truth I've been trying to get hold of one for quite a while, just to see what it's like. I've ended up with an amazing assortment of just about everything else instead!

Ole I have an 121 mm 6.8 Steinheil orthostigmat (whatever that designates) mounted on an ancient 5 x 7 .

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Orthostigmat is an entirely different beast. It's a very decent anastigmat, which is what Steinheil tried to make with the Antiplanet. The Orthostigmat didn't appar until Zeiss' original Anastigmat patent had expired...

My 1910 book lists "the best known lenses currently in the market", including a lot of Aplanats and similar. The Antiplanet is not mentioned, the Orthostigmat is. As are the Triplar and Unofocal, also by Steinheil.
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Antiplanet?

Egad it sounds like something that escaped from Area 51. It must be a lens from the planetbuster raygun they found with the alien ship.

PE

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Ole I have an 121 mm 6.8 Steinheil orthostigmat (whatever that designates) mounted on an ancient 5 x 7 .
    Just reviewing some ols posts...I should have posted 210 cm 6.8
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin