Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,816   Online: 848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I see Argentina in my future soon... and bringing LF would be fairly likely for me. Please do share some photos when you return.

Thanks! Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ill say that Buenos Aires is doable, even with LF, IF you know some Spanish. I think I would have gotten in more trouble with the security guards had I not spoken better than functional Spanish. I think it helps me get away with a lot. Its actually a pretty good feeling, being able to blend. Everyone knows when I speak that Im not from HERE, but theyre not sure where Im from. Nobody so far has guessed off the bat that Im an American.

I did some wandering around the San Telmo antiques neighborhood, and found a few interesting cameras, including a stereoscopic camera that shoots two images on glass plates in these strange little plate holders. The dealer wanted $650 for it, so Im pretty sure Im not going to take the plunge, but another dealer had a couple of wood cameras that take glass plates, including what looks like a 6 1/2 by 8 1/2 or maybe even 7x11 ish. There was one more Im thinking about asking about again when I go back tomorrow, since it was a large format (looks like about 5x7 size) stereo camera, complete with lenses. They also had a Canon 7 rangefinder with the F0.95 50mm lens. Didnt ask the price on that one either, but that was tempting too. Otherwise, cameras other than crappy folders or twin lens reflexes, and images other than 1950s picture postcards and the odd carte de visite are also extremely few and far between.

Ill be shooting more tomorrow with the 5x7 I think, and then maybe Monday Ill pop over to Uruguay to visit Colonia. Colonia promises to be an LFers paradise with its 18th century town center. Had I more time, I think Id like to try and visit this auto garage that is a bit outside the center of town which specializes in the antique cars that are so popular in Uruguay to this day.

In San Telmo, I saw an antiques shop that specialized in cars, including a genuine Bugatti, an original 1946 Lincoln Continental, a Delage phaeton, and a red 1963 Jaguar XK-E. That was the first real Bugatti that Ive been that close to. Wow.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have I mentioned before how much attention you get when travelling with large format? Let me reinforce this lesson. You will get LOTS of attention. LOTS. Including invitations to exhibit your work, and TV interviews. Today, while I was out bumming around the San Telmo neighborhood with the Canham, I had a man approach me and invite me to participate in an international exhibition, and I got interviewed on Argentinian TV. Plus the dozen or so other conversations I had with people who observed the camera and wanted to know if it was old, could I still get film for it, etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sounds like a cool trip.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    Ill say that Buenos Aires is doable, even with LF, IF you know some Spanish.
    Well, I don't know if I'd describe my Spanish as better than functional, but I do know a little. Hopefully enough to stay out of trouble (or maybe just enogh to get into trouble).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another tip, although this may well be just repeating the obvious, for anyone who has already travelled before with camera gear.

The road is NOT the place to learn the ins and outs of your gear. Be INTIMATELY acquainted with your equipment, every function and quirk, before you go. Have your working method down pat, or youll be spending too much time setting up the camera, and not seeing what the camera can see.

I got my Canham about a month before I hit the road with it, and got to shoot it maybe four or five times before I left. While I was comfortable with it, it is still not routine to use, especially because the Canham works a little differently than my other cameras. Nothing I cant get used to, but it is still a hassle. Knowing this, Ill not wait until a month before my next trip to get a new major piece of gear. Lens? not as big a deal, but still, better to have shot with it before you hit the road, to make sure it gives you what youre looking for. Only little accessories can be taken for granted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a spare moment, you should try to visit Pablo Kolodny while you're in Buenos Aires. Pablo is a LF and MF shooter -- very talented, and a forceful character. You can find his website at www.pablokolodny.com, you can email him at pkolodny@fibertel.com.ar, and his website gives his phone number as 011 54 11 4552-9696.

If you do contact him, please tell him that Sanders from New York sent you and give him my best regards.

Travel well!

Sanders

Shooter
    Medium Format

Argentina

You didn't mention the red wine and bife a caballo and dulce de leche!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    The road is NOT the place to learn the ins and outs of your gear. Be INTIMATELY acquainted with your equipment, every function and quirk, before you go. Have your working method down pat, or youll be spending too much time setting up the camera, and not seeing what the camera can see.

I got my Canham about a month before I hit the road with it, and got to shoot it maybe four or five times before I left. While I was comfortable with it, it is still not routine to use, especially because the Canham works a little differently than my other cameras. Nothing I cant get used to, but it is still a hassle. Knowing this, Ill not wait until a month before my next trip to get a new major piece of gear. Lens? not as big a deal, but still, better to have shot with it before you hit the road, to make sure it gives you what youre looking for. Only little accessories can be taken for granted.
    Just thought I'd chime in on this one, not that I've travelled with LF before but I think it applies regardless of format. Whenever I'm travelling I always make sure to do a thorough gear check before I leave. Preferably, do this with enough time to replace/repair anything that isn't working properly. But, barring that, it can at least help you make some decisions as to what to take or catch problems before you use a faulty piece of equipment to take that priceless once in a lifetime shot.

For instance, before going on one trip I found that the aperture blades on my 85mm lens (for 35mm gear) were sticking. So that stayed home and the 90mm macro went in its place.

I wouldn't even rely on little accesories working properly, test it all. Now granted, you don't really need to familiarise yourself with the use of them like you suggest, but still test them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some more notes on travel in this part of the world, not necessarily specific to LF:

- The sun is in the NORTH sky, which is a bit confusing at first.
    - at this time of year, the sun is at a low enough angle that you can still shoot interesting light at noon.
    - Once again, travelling with large format will turn you into a rock star. I went to Colonia, across the river from Buenos Aires in Uruguay, and had an old man see me photographing his street, so he came over to talk a little, then ran into his house to bring out his 1900 vintage Voigtlander plate camera to show me, that his grandfather had brought from Europe. I had a Mexican photography fan and box camera collector ask me for my website. He has a collection of over 150 Brownies and variants thereof. A mime saw me setting up to take his photo, and expressed (in the way only a mime can express) surprise and pleasure that I was NOT going to charge HIM to take his photo. I also had people come up and photograph me using the 5x7. That was a strange feeling, being a tourist attraction myself.

Colonia is a neat little day trip from Buenos Aires. Its probably worth an overnight, not just a day, as there are enough things to see and shoot around the town. Walking from the ferry dock into town, there are some neat old railroad buildings, including an old roundhouse that has been converted into a conference center, with the accompanying turntable still intact out front. The old station building has been converted into the Colonia Culinary and Hospitality Institute. Colonia is peppered with old cars in varying states of repair, and lots of quaint single-story stuccoed 18th century houses, cobblestone streets, and a pretty, plain church.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The one thing I don't like about large-format photography is the attention I draw. I can handle the weight and all the other disadvantages. I don't like being approached constantly, or drawing attention from people passing by.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin