Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,516   Online: 894

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Attaching spikes to carbon fiber tripod?

Why gitzo skipped the spiked feet feature i don't know. Maybe they figured with global warming they're wouldn't be any ice in northern Michigan for their tripods to slip on.

$100 for the Markins add-on spikes for my Gitzo 1325 is outragous considering the price i paid for it. I've been using crutch tips slipped over the legs with 3/16 bolts as spikes but that's not 100% rigid. Has anyone drilled and tapped the feet and added their own spikes? Any other ideas?
    AFAIK gitzo doesn't sell add-on feet for the 1325.

vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See my post in this thread

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ead.php?t=3537

for another idea. Not inexpensive, but quite secure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too wish my Gitzos had spiked feet. While the Markins ones might help on ice, I'd prefer bigger, surveyor style leg spikes. In fact I use a surveyor tripod when out in the muck. These are wide diameter spikes about 4 inches long. When you sink these in the turf, your tripod become very secure and well damped. (At one time I had a Zone VI tripod which had great spiked feet, but it was heavy as sin.) In any case, I've been contemplating clamping similar spikes to the bottom of my Gitzo. I may simply steal the spikes from my surveyor tripod, or perhaps I'll fashion something. I need to some up with a way that allows the spikes to easily and securely attach to the bottom of the tripod tubes. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura
    See my post in this thread

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ead.php?t=3537

for another idea. Not inexpensive, but quite secure.
    Thanks Sal, but i've got the feeling that 3 carbon fiber legs from Gitzo
    will set me back more than $100.

vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Being a wood worker also, I work with what I know.

1" inch dowel with a spike driven ( predrill ) in the end. Bore the other to accept the leg just barely. now slit the top with a back saw so it can be compressed around the leg with a small hose clamp. Do not over tighten as you might crush the tube.

If they tend to slip off when pulling out of the ground, bore the hole a little larger and wrap the bottom of the leg with gaffer tape to provide some friction.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Spikes for tripods with rubber feet

The thread seems to be old, but anyway. There is a way of modifying such tripods, you'll need brass plumbing fittings and microphone bushings. The result looks like this:

The process is quite simple, details are here:
    http://staswilf.com/blog/2013/06/10/...of-gitzo-1325/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It IS old but i would like to know the specifics of what you used.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    It IS old but i would like to know the specifics of what you used.
    Feel free to ask.
    There is some controversy about the bushings. The image on B&H website differs from the item itself. Suppose that their image is wrong.
    Last edited by swilf; 06-14-2013 at 06:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin