Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,780   Online: 818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images

Lens for closeups

I'm planning on doing a series of still life photos using a 4x5 camera. The subject to lens distance will usually be 2 to 4 feet. What is a good lens for this purpose? Cost is a consideration, will not need a shutter. You help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The old convertible Symmars were recommended for this - with reversing the lens at scales greater than 1:1. A 150mm Symmar should be one of the cheapest good lenses you can find in shutter, too.

Apart from that, repro- and enlarging lenses are also good for this. A G-Claron in barrel is great, although exact focus with f:9 can be a challenge at times.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don, your question's too vague to get a good answer. What magnification will you be working at? Put another way, how big is the subject?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    The old convertible Symmars were recommended for this - with reversing the lens at scales greater than 1:1. A 150mm Symmar should be one of the cheapest good lenses you can find in shutter, too.

Apart from that, repro- and enlarging lenses are also good for this. A G-Claron in barrel is great, although exact focus with f:9 can be a challenge at times.
    Ole

Do you mean to mount the lens backwards or to reverse one or more of the elements? Don't have my 150 here to visualize how to reverse it.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I mean either reversing the whole thing, or swap the lens elements. Unfortunately you can't do that trick with a lens in a #1 shutter as the cell threads are different. I've tries it with my 240mm (#2 shutter), and it seems to work.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    But where does it become a "closeup"? 2 to 4 feet (60 to 120 cm) doesn't sound all that close to me? Depending on what effect you are after, you may do well enough with just about any lens. Of course, as has been pointed out, you will get better results with lenses made for close-range photographical adventures. But if you're in a penny-pinch, start out and test what you have and see how that works out for you.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 09-18-2006 at 01:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: calculating error
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Dan, object size 8 to 18 inches.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don, some of the sharpest work I've ever seen in your stated range is from a lens I have a hard time getting $20 bucks for. The lowly Tominon 127mm f4.7 was designed to do precisesly what you've described. If you really get to looking at the resolution under a 50X scope, these little lenses are just incredible. Yep, I have some elements for you. They fit any Copal 1 shutter. Send $15 bucks including shipping.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second Jim's reccomendation, I have one sitting on the shelf for just this very purpose.

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don,

With an offer like the one Jim is making... jump on it real fast!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin