Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,092   Online: 731

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    I have a Kodak 2d and really like using it. I honestly have not missed the front tilt.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    another source is to PM Jim Galli. I bet he has some 5x7's siting around.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Get the Norma.

A 5x7 is a thing of beauty. I shoot with a 5x7 Sinar Norma (see my avatar) and I love the camera. What is wrong with the Norma? You will find it easy to get replacement parts -- there are guys out there who trade in Norma parts, and many parts are interchangeable with the current Sinar P view cameras. If it's the bellows that shot, you can get a replacement bellows made for under US$300 from camerabellows.com in the UK. They made me a new bellows for my Norma -- quality is tops and they delivered from the UK to New York in less than two weeks. Sanders

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Sinar on German Ebay has some issues with the bellow the one spirit level that is still on is dried out, rust on painted areas and a groundglass that looks as if it has seen better days. I don't mind the camera looks old and used but abuse is another case. It might be easy to get parts for the camera but I'd rather go with a user than a restoration project. I must say though that Sinar Norma looks interesting and if anyone have one to sell low priced (Jim Gali??) I'm "game". Hmm sometimes I feel the need of an english teacher here
    Aggie, do you think Jim is willing to sell out?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I have a Kodak 2d and really like using it. I honestly have not missed the front tilt.
    Mark What do you use yours for (subjects)?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will love 5x7, I have just a few weeks using 5x7, but know I understand why so many like it. Contact print size is just right for some images.
    Personally I wouldn`t even consider a camera without front tilt though..
    Amund

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Søren (and Amund), the need for front tilt is somewhat overrated IMO.

As it happens I have two 5x7" (and will continue to have both, thank you ): One Gandolfi Traditional, and one antique German 13x18cm plate camera.

The old German has only front rise/fall and shift by way of sliding the lensboard around. The back has about 10 degrees of tilt and swing. In the vast majority of cases this is more than enough! Of course I can't do the "opposite tilt looks-like-toys-effect" with this camera, but it has other advantages. Like being sturdy enough to carry a 740mm f:8 Aplanat - and focus it to about 2m distance.
    I'm not recommending a German Antique, nor a "newer" Russian copy of them. The special 13x18cm glass plate holders are a pain, especially if you can't use 5x7" film inserts in them. I have three holders, one of which refuses to work with 5x7" inserts. The other two work fine, but I can never remember in time which one's the difficult one!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    The Sinar on German Ebay has some issues with the bellow the one spirit level that is still on is dried out, rust on painted areas and a groundglass that looks as if it has seen better days. I don't mind the camera looks old and used but abuse is another case. It might be easy to get parts for the camera but I'd rather go with a user than a restoration project. I must say though that Sinar Norma looks interesting ...
    The problems you mention are easy and cheap to fix. I already gave you the source for a new bellows -- camerabellows.com has the template in stock and can make one for you in a matter of days for a reasonable cost. As for ground glass, Satin Snow makes a good glass inexpensively, last time I checked, or else buy one from Dagor77 on eBay. The spirit levels can be bought new from Sinar, if they matter to you. (I never use mine.) The rust is probably a cosmetic issue only.

I understand your concern about a "restoration project," but none of these fixes is remotely difficult or time-consuming. Of course, you need to do the math and see if the investment makes sense when all is fixed. But I wouldn't write the Norma off for the reasons you've raised.

Sanders.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's another one on ebay.de which is a little more difficult to find - here. Note that the description says "9x12-12x16.5". You have to know that the film holders for 12x16.5 are the same external size as those for 5x7" and 13x18cm, and then look closer at the picture of the larger of the two backs.

There's a nice array of lenses there, too... Symmars 180, 210 and 240; 2x 90mm f:8 Super Angulon (!?), and a 300mm Eurynar. Not bad at all.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Yes, except I think mine is a Model 46.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin