Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,614   Online: 888

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Soeren,

5x7 cameras come and go on the bay and patients is what will be required of you.

I waited and waited for just the right camera to come along... and it did! I ended up with a restored Deardorff 5x7 / 4x5 camera with the reducing back. And, the pricing was quite reasonable too.

Then, they disappeared and I've only seen the odd one pop up on the block in the last year or so.

So, be patient... you'll come across just the right camera at just the right time.

Good luck

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    B&J made several types of cameras. The Rembrandt model was for studio use, and had rear movements, but no front movements. My 5x7 B&J flatbed and B&J Saturn monorail models have tilt and swing on both front and back. Nick is right about the extension bed sometimes missing from B&J flatbeds. I've also seen tripod mounting blocks missing from monorail cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would not consider a camera without front tilt. It is the single most important movement of a landscape photographer. It is even more important for table top or still life photography. Rear tilt will not take the place of front tilt since they have different effects.

You just need to be patient. I am looking for 5X7 myself but I want something more current like a Canham.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    I am looking for 5X7 myself but I want something more current like a Canham.
    Donald,

I had a chance to look at the Canham 5x7 at the Per Volquartz workshop in Vancouver last weekend.

Rob Skeoch (http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/default2.asp) brought it with him and it's pretty nice.

It's a beauty and you can also buy the 4x5 reducing back for it... 2 formats using one camera.

Did I say "it's pretty nice!"

And FWIW... I wouldn't buy a camera without front tilts either. But, that's just moi!

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an Improved Seneca View Camera in 5x7 that needs a new bellows that I am willing to sell at a real reasonable price. Send me an email if you are interested. I can send you pictures.

The bellows might be able to be re-lined by splitting them open and glueing a new liner on the inside and then folding them up again. Could save you alot of money over new bellows.

I also have some 5x7 wood film holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the good advise everybody.
    There is a lot of camera sugestions but should I concentrate on a few models like e.g Sinar and Plaubel or widen the search.
    What is a realistic budget? 100€, 200€ or more?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also forgot to mention that my 151 euro Plaubel Universal III came with a 4x5 back along with the holders and lens boards. I waited quite awhile before I decided to bid on this one. Sinars and Linhofs are wonderful cameras, as is Plaubel. But Plaubels seem to go for lower prices. That's one reason I chose it. I certainly recommend Plaubel!

Phil

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My advice is go with the old cameras if your budget is tight, but if you could afford a Shen-Hao 5x7 you'll love it. That way you start from the begining with a great camera with all the movements you can ask for. If you realize you are not a LF guy, you'll get most of your money back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Woodney View Post
    I also forgot to mention that my 151 euro Plaubel Universal III came with a 4x5 back along with the holders and lens boards. I waited quite awhile before I decided to bid on this one. Sinars and Linhofs are wonderful cameras, as is Plaubel. But Plaubels seem to go for lower prices. That's one reason I chose it. I certainly recommend Plaubel!

Phil
    The Plaubel Ole Mentioned looks interesting and comes with a lot of lenses and extras. Any qualified guess on what it will go for ?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a look at the listing. Looks pretty good...especially with 6 lenses! The Symmar convertibles are older, of course. I have a 210/370 like the one listed...mine is from 1955 but it's in great shape. I would guess that the entire set will go for around 700 euros. Not bad I think. Plus you can sell one of the 90mmm Supere Angulons and get some money back. I am sorta keeping my eye open for one.

Phil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin