Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,602   Online: 927

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buze View Post
    It doesn't look like a graflock back tho; can the non-graflock be converted anyway ?
    I have a Crown Graphic also as my first and only LF shooter, it's terrific fun !

"converted" ?

not sure what you mean. The polaroid back, and the Calumet Cabo C2 back , both slide into either a spring-loaded or graflock back, since they fit where a 4x5 sheet holder would fit. The standard roll film backs ones typically require a graflok back.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Graflok and spring backs are interchangable. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a junky camera with the Graflok back than to buy just the back alone. Swapping the backs is easy. The rangefinder is set for just one focal length. Instructions for adjusting it for another focal length are on http://www.graflex.org/. There's a wealth of other information on that site. Another valuable source is Graphic Graflex Photography by Willard Morgan and Henry Lester. It is available used on many online booksellers and sometimes on ebay. Get at least the 8th edition to cover your camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've decided to remove the side rangefinder and the top viewfinder, placed all the screws into a little film canister, and removed the cam before removing the rangefinder. now all sides except the handle side is a flat surface, and don't really intend to use the rangefinder since I'd prefer to focus off the ground glass.

Also in searching for a year on the camera, I've narrowed it down to between 1947 and 1949. The Pacemaker Crowngraphic came out in 1949, the side rangefinder was replaced with a top sided rangefinder in 1955. When I further checked graflex.org feature's list, turns out the graflok back was standard around 1949 (first placed on the minature a year earlier), so it puts my particular crown graphic between '47 and '49. Making the camera at least 57 years old. Does'nt surprise me seeing as how some of the screws seemed rusty ( but that could be due to storage condition alone ), but the bellows are nice and tight, got some white calcium-like growth inside though though not all that bad, lens is bout great though.

Oh did learn something new on that graflex.org. Apparently the roll film backs on my Mamiya RB67 will fit on a Graphic 2x3 camera, thought that was rather interesting.

But ya, without the rangefinder, and the viewfinder, it feels just a tad lighter, and cleaner to my taste. I'll probally look into getting a graflok back as someone mentioned, but I probally won't need it. We got a Cut Sheet Pack back for a graphic, that looks nice but would need a graflok back as I can load several sheets at once.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the LF club and may the Force be with you!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Welcome to the LF club and may the Force be with you!
    Nah - you're supposed to say something to the effect:

"Welcome to the dark slide of the Force."

joe
    (running & ducking)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joneil View Post

joe
    (running & ducking)
    'The dark side. Where our .. um.. cameras are bigger'
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joneil View Post

joe
    (running & ducking)
    So can I blame you for the fact one of my 12 first 4x5 Velvia is all black ?

There we go, I'm also a newbie, and I'm delighted to have picked up my first E6 this morning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buze View Post
    So can I blame you for the fact one of my 12 first 4x5 Velvia is all black ?

There we go, I'm also a newbie, and I'm delighted to have picked up my first E6 this morning
    I very much plan to shoot some velvia with the leaves changing soon.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin