Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,253   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm now an LFer as well.

Picked this guy up at work, my employer made me a good offer. Heres a quick picture of the front and back.

Now I know I can use a polaroid back because it just slides into whatever a standard 4x5 sheet holder will slide into. But I'm curious about the possibility of a roll back ( not that I would ever really need one , except on a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 graflex), since the back does not seem to be a graf-lok (spelling?) back where the ground glass can come off completely like I've seen on some speed graphics and such.

The camera says its a Crown Graphic (Serial # 955297), has a synchronized rangefinder (I assume it works for all lens if I pull the lens board upto the two notches poped up on the rails), a Graflex Optar f/4.7 135mm lens, with a (X) Synchromatic "Made by Wollensak for Graflex Inc". Shutter ranges from T,B, 1 to 400. Also do they have adapters to go from the two prong to PC-sync style flash sync cable?

But ya, now I shoot almost everything from half frame 35mm, 35mm, 120 (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9),and now 4x5.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at the Calumet roll film backs, they slide in just like the Polaroid ones do.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Take a look at the Calumet roll film backs, they slide in just like the Polaroid ones do.
    Hrm not exactly a cheap item from the look of it. But seems to be a Calumet C2, will do 6x7 off the back of most 4x5 even if they do not have a graflok back. Even on Keh.com a bargain grade one is 144$.
    Last edited by kb244; 09-22-2006 at 08:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have fun with it Karl, it looks like it's in very good condition. It's a great camera to start and you can also hand hold or use a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't look like a graflock back tho; can the non-graflock be converted anyway ?
    I have a Crown Graphic also as my first and only LF shooter, it's terrific fun !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Hrm not exactly a cheap item from the look of it. But seems to be a Calumet C2, will do 6x7 off the back of most 4x5 even if they do not have a graflok back. Even on Keh.com a bargain grade one is 144$.
    You can find them on Ebay quite often cheaper than that, just don't get to pining for a 6x12 back, they are real expensive and IMO not worth the money. Some of them also have had film flatness issues.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations Karl! Have fun. I hope you'll post some of your results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, I've installed my DLS-BEEEEEEP at the back of the crown, to see how the Optar "kit" lens really performed. I was quite surprised to see it's actualy very good, even by "digital" standard. I've seen a lot worse in the 35mm "dedicated" 135mm I tried before.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/buze/242278625/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great camera and one of the best ways to get started in LF. If you have not found it yet, this site: http://www.graflex.org/ has about everything you will need to know about graflex cameras.

Have fun.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh dang it! I want one of those! I'm green with envy. Have fun with it

pssttt... I have a Horseman LE that I'll trade...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin