Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,351   Posts: 1,682,558   Online: 705

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pinkham & Smith outfit on Ebay

The opening bid is high enough that you can count me out. Looks correct but I have to wonder if the paint loss at the threads is because someone heated the barrel up trying to remove the lens group. I have a 14" Verito that has the identical look in the identical spot. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. A #2 Series IV is a 12" lens for 5X7 but for head and shoulder shots you would find it quite useable on 8X10. The camera seems to be a 5X7 Ansco with a 4X5 back. Doesn't add much to the ultimate value which is the lens. With an opening bid like that I believe I would insist on something in writing from the seller that if for whatever reason their was a problem that neither of you could know about ahead of time, a return would be possible. Maybe even one of those escrow services. $1900 would be too much to get the item and find out the glass is beyond repair or service, or even less than almost perfect really for that amount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Extremely over optimistic starting price for the setup :-)

The front lens standard and rear film standards are not in the track bed which is shown as a separate item . . very odd.

And yes Jim those strange marks on the lens barrell are a definate don't even think about buying.

For what it's worth I've now bought two Agfa Ansco's via eBay, both 10"x8" which are far rarer, and both times I've paid the sellers "Buy Now" price.

Should say I've been watching what they sell for extremely carefully for about 4 years.

The first was in mint condition with a second back, a good workshop made 5x4 reducing back, and a superb 12" Dagor the seller had never used saying it had separation - it just neaded a damn good clean which took less than 2 minutes, factory coated by AM Optical after WWII. It also came with a Beatty screen too. The price $750 - ok shipping at $200 and import duty at 21% made it a bit more expensive but still excellent value.

The Dagor lens alone would sell on it's own for about what I paid for the whole set-up.

My second Agfa Ansco is in transit as I write, again 10"x8" it comes with a load of darkslides, and two lenses, a Grunlach Radar f4.5, but more importantly a great Super Angulon 165mm f8. Reality is I paid less than $1500 for this great combination.

Again the 165mm Super Angulon fetches very high prices on ebay.com (US) and even more on Ebay's UK site ebay.co.uk

So the equipment in question is priced far too high in a global market :-)

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-23-2006 at 04:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: poor spelling :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    It must be Pinkham Smith week, as I notice that Igor Reznik (caveat emptor) also has a P&S Synthetic #2,

http://igorcamera.com/soft_focus_lenses.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Igor can have some excellent prices now and again.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post
    It must be Pinkham Smith week, as I notice that Igor Reznik (caveat emptor) also has a P&S Synthetic #2,

http://igorcamera.com/soft_focus_lenses.htm

hi jason

i bought a wollensak 13-20-25 from igor a few years ago,
    and it was better than described. i guess sometimes things work
    out and sometimes they don't ...

--john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It isn't large format, but I'm eyeing the two Steinheil LTM lenses he has...I'm lucky I have no money to spend on that right now or I'd be about $270 poorer.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything with my "caveat emptor", just a gentle warning. Two of my favorite lenses were from Igor, but both required a bit of work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've not had the pleasure of playing with a Pinkham Synthetic yet. Yes the opening bid is enthusiastic for a #2 Visual but I'll not be surprised if it finds a new owner.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin