Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,353   Online: 1102

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi jim

beautiful!
    the last picture ( chevy in the weeds ) is making me all warm
    and fuzzy too - i LOVE that!

thanks for sharing these with us.
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up as well as the paper neg info you shared from before. I tried it out and you're right, the almost instant results are really fun.

Alan.
    alan,

you forgot ADDICTIVE!

-john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim was the most obliging host for our trip to Tonopah, NV.

Watching Jim work with his 2D and collection [never ending ] of brass lenses was a lesson in itself. I was amazed at the physical size of the lenses. Yet the weight was less than I thought.

Jim's images look "older" than the real scene if that is possible. His images are a time machine.

My eyes saw old in the foundry, however I saw the images how I knew my lenses would record them -- and by and large they did just that. Modern, sharp and dare I say it after looking at Jim's pics -- 2 dimensional.

The Chev in the weeds is a case in point.

I shot with a 360mm barrel lens and while my image is technically good it looks like it was shot in 2006. Even with a shallow DOF my lens is sharp but the out of focus areas are too defined.

I was also amazed at the image on the GG of the 2D of the tailstock. Even on the groundglass the image was glowing.

I know I was there at Tonopah but I do believe Jim has a special time machine and can transport himself to another dimension. I think he dissappeared once or twice.

I'm convinced that Chev is NOT the one I photographed.

If you ever get to Tonopah strange things do happen and you will never be the same again.

Thanks Jim -- a very memorable day -- I'm not certain what year it was though.
    Steve

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    Jim was the most obliging host for our trip to Tonopah, NV.

If you ever get to Tonopah strange things do happen and you will never be the same again.

Thanks Jim -- a very memorable day -- I'm not certain what year it was though.
    Chiller, (so you missed Jim for a second or two?)

You are absolutely correct in this, however it is best not to discuss the facts here, It has been verified that Jim was here in Las Vegas performing in an afternoon matinee on the strip at just about the same time as you claim you were watching him working with the big lens. Of course when he was off stage here....no one could vouch for his whereabouts:o :o :o :o :o

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=chiller;369888]Jim was the most obliging host for our trip to Tonopah, NV.

I know I was there at Tonopah but I do believe Jim has a special time machine and can transport himself to another dimension. I think he dissappeared once or twice.

:o quiet please:o

and keep the line moving forward.....the show is about to begin....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    interesting blah blah

Steve,

I am very interested in seeing your images of that that so we can (accounting all personal differences of the photographers) compare Jim's and your images in terms of modern and antique (lenses).

@ Jim:

Is it the same point transfer that emulates light leaks in the left hand top of the image of the scales? It's a very intriguing effect.

Thanks!

G
    Last edited by argus; 09-27-2006 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Jim:

Is it the same point transfer that emulates light leaks in the left hand top of the image of the scales? It's a very intriguing effect.

Thanks!

G
    Yes, in that photo you can see how far the transfer bled into the black rebate.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My eyes saw old in the foundry, however I saw the images how I knew my lenses would record them -- and by and large they did just that. Modern, sharp and dare I say it after looking at Jim's pics -- 2 dimensional.
    Steve, I suspect your images have their own unique vision as well. I'm looking forward to seeing them.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Yes, in that photo you can see how far the transfer bled into the black rebate.
    wow. what do i say? i like the first lathe handle and the old chevy. i am torn between the two bearings photos. both have their positives. excellent session.

eddie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jim,
    Excellent as always. I will be aquiring (shortly..) a Wollensak Velostigmat Series II 12" in a #5 shutter (as you recall, I've been on the hunt for the shutter). Regardless, this one does have the softness ring - it will be interesting to compare the two.

Regards,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin