Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,081   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Think of what you could do with a Bogen tripod. 3 six ft spears with spiked tips.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No one has ever questioned my 4x5 Anba. It's been through Germany, France, Singapore, Japan, India, and Malaysia XRay devices and nearly an equal number of hand checks.

The only time I've been questioned was in Germany when the screener noted that I had several "interesting" items. Turns out the thing he was interested in visually inspecting was the 110SS-XL. He thought it was a very nice lens.

I lie. The only other time I've had problems is coming back into the country through Seattle. I don't know what those guys are taught, but they are mean, nasty, and testy as all get out. I've been stopped in customs every single time I've tried to return from Japan through SeaTac. But this had nothing to do with my camera gear.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i just flew out west. i carried my mamiya set up on with and i shipped my 4x5 and 8x10 wit hthe USPS general delivery. worked great! but this was for domestic. shipping overseas.....hhhhhmmmmm? when i do fly next time with my LF it will be overseas so will carry the 8x10 and the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I carry on my canham 8x10 in an f-64 bag. I take off the pockets and pack half the lenses. I carry 2 film holders and my film. I've had it (yes, the 8x10) run through the carry on scanners as many as 6 times (125asa ilford fp-4) and had no issues. (this was to china and back).

The biggest threat was not in coming to LA but from LA to Utah. A TSA dude wanted to open the film if he "saw anything" on the monitor. eh, whatever.

anyway, I've had no issues.

One idea I did have, was for me to come along and hold both our ground glass' while we head out to the stone heads. (yes, I'm very jealous.)

If you get some nice prints, do let us see them, please.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My current concern about carrying-on an LF camera stems not from the ground glass but from the spirit levels. The recent prohibition against any and all fluids brought on-board (recently relaxed somewhat, thankfully) could be interpreted as including spirit levels, and I have seen some mention in the LF user groups that the TSA may clamp down on this. If your camera has spirit levels then you may want to check on this too...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    My current concern about carrying-on an LF camera stems not from the ground glass but from the spirit levels. The recent prohibition against any and all fluids brought on-board (recently relaxed somewhat, thankfully) could be interpreted as including spirit levels, and I have seen some mention in the LF user groups that the TSA may clamp down on this. If your camera has spirit levels then you may want to check on this too...
    Now THAT's a bunch of silly speculation. The recently relaxed rules now allow people to carry on liquids in bottles up to enough to fill a quart-size ziploc bag. I've never seen a quart-sized spirit level, and flying to Argentina and back during the liquids ban nobody ever even noticed the spirit levels, let alone asked me to drink the contents to prove they weren't explosive.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I purchased one of the ground glass bags from SAITTA BAGS here on APUG, and it worked out amazing. It is light padding on the outside, and two pieces of masonite covered with a soft fleece material inside. I had to shipped in the mail, checked in my duffle bag on the plane, and also carried on as carry-on in the plane with ZERO damage to the glass.

I highly suggest this product.

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format

4X5 Through scanner 3 times and held IN SCANNER 5 mins

Delhi Airport during a tense cricket match - india V Pakistan- all attention on the monitor ( the game ie) while runout was taken- my bag with 10 rolls of 100 asa film was actively held for a full 5 minutes- i was counting- my entreaties did nought- play resumed and i was handed my overscanned bag- no prob!- all developded ok- amazing

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My Wehman came with a plexiglass alternative to ground glass. While it's not as bright, I don't worry about breaking it. After experiencing breakage in the field on a distant trip, I'm paranoid about breaking another one, so I'll just stick with the plastic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin