Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,682   Online: 756

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8X10 Airline Carry-on (ground glass)

Has anyone recently traveled by air and carried on their 8X10 outfit? In a month or so I will be flying to Easter Island (Denver, LA, Santiago...) and was wondering if the ground glass raised any eyebrows by security officials.

I only have soft luggage and I don't want to take a chance of putting the gg in my check-in no matter how well it's wrapped.

Suggestions?
    Noel Cummings

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I carry my 4x5 all the time on airplanes, and I've never had anyone even take a second look at the ground glass. I don't know any reason why anyone would want to.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes I carry an 8 x 10 Wista, a couple of lenses and holders in Offshore Angler, case made of light brown cordura. It measures 14 x 18 x 17. I purchased it at Offshore Anglers store in the Florida Keys. I also have a smaller one for a complete 6 45 outfit and 3 lenses.

They can be found in the Bass Pro catalog under fishing accessories, tackel boxes , reel cases etc...ttp://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.SubClass?hvarDept=151&hvarEvent=&hvarClass Code=6&hv

Have velcro dividers etc...seem to be designed for camera s ! Quality is excellent!
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 09-26-2006 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I carry my 4x5 all the time on airplanes, and I've never had anyone even take a second look at the ground glass. I don't know any reason why anyone would want to.
    i don't know.. take some duct tape with you.. break the ground glass, wrap it in duct tape and you have a pretty nasty knife..

you get 5 or 6 large format shooters on a plane, and you have a serious situation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcollum View Post
    i don't know.. take some duct tape with you.. break the ground glass, wrap it in duct tape and you have a pretty nasty knife..

you get 5 or 6 large format shooters on a plane, and you have a serious situation
    Only if the digital-weenies start something first.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I took my Canham 5x7 to Argentina, and although every last customs and/or security inspector just HAD to take a look at it, nobody blinked at the GG. I just left it installed on the camera and was fine. I protect it with the folded up horseblanket I use for focusing. The 5x7, five lenses, Minolta Spotmeter, and focusing loupe all fit inside a Pelican backpack type bag designed to fit inside their hard shell 1550 series case, and to stay within carryon luggage dimensions. I carried the film in a second carry on bag, and my film holders and tripod went in checked baggage. Also worthy of note, neither the skinny screwdrivers nor my Rodenstock lenswrench got examined or confiscated, all of which could theoretically make weapons as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the TSA isn't smart enough to figure this out on their own, is it in our interest to help them?
    Louie

Shooter
    Large Format
    A few days after September 11th, 2001 my wife, a potter, flew from NYC to LA with a carry-on bag full of high-fired ceramics. A broken piece of porcelain or other high-temperature clay has edges sharper than a box-cutter. Did the TSA even notice? No, but they did take away her tweezers.

I think the same can be said for glass.

I am not sure if we should be relieved or worried that they are so incompetent.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post
    A few days after September 11th, 2001 my wife, a potter, flew from NYC to LA with a carry-on bag full of high-fired ceramics. A broken piece of porcelain or other high-temperature clay has edges sharper than a box-cutter. Did the TSA even notice? No, but they did take away her tweezers.

I think the same can be said for glass.

I am not sure if we should be relieved or worried that they are so

incompetent.
    I think today on a U.S. airline one would be short lived trying to intimidate with box cutters or glass shards...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I carry on my canham 8x10 in an f-64 bag. I take off the pockets and pack half the lenses. I carry 2 film holders and my film. I've had it (yes, the 8x10) run through the carry on scanners as many as 6 times (125asa ilford fp-4) and had no issues. (this was to china and back).

The biggest threat was not in coming to LA but from LA to Utah. A TSA dude wanted to open the film if he "saw anything" on the monitor. eh, whatever.

anyway, I've had no issues.

One idea I did have, was for me to come along and hold both our ground glass' while we head out to the stone heads. (yes, I'm very jealous.)

If you get some nice prints, do let us see them, please.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin