Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,790   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've recovered a Speed Graphic and it was surprisingly easy. The key is to carefuly remove the old leather to use as a pattern for the new leather. The leather needs to be quite flexible and will need to have a bit of stretch as well to be able to cover the bump on the front door. I went for a tasteful and restrained acid yellow.

I've written a quick description at my website: www.paulewins.com, follow the link for "Portrait Speed Graphic".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking if I gona do it, on a graflex I'd want a deep jade, or forest green.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The leather fell off the bed of my Anny. At first I considered redoing it, but now, I decided I really like the war-torn look. I think standerbys tend take it more as a serious tool then as a novely the more beat to hell it looks.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy View Post
    The leather fell off the bed of my Anny. At first I considered redoing it, but now, I decided I really like the war-torn look. I think standerbys tend take it more as a serious tool then as a novely the more beat to hell it looks.
    You got a point there, though if done very nicely it can seem like a very precious expensive collectible... like a linhof or something. Though that might require chroming the hell out of it.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being honest with you, I could care less what they look like, the only thing I care about is if they work and do the job I want to do with them..

But redoing a graphic is not that hard and cameraleather.com can supply the leather to do it with.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got the following email back from cameraleather.org and would appear they do not have plans to do so as it would not be economical of them.

Hi Karl,

We have been looking into kits for this type of camera for some time. Most of them are covered in a glazed paper that looks like leather.

There are some major obstacles . . . first of all, most cameras are assembled so that the covering is the last thing applied. So, it can be removed easily. But the Graphic class of camera is built like furniture:
    most of the covering is applied very early in the assembly process, and the rest of the camera is built on top of it. To really recover one of these, the camera must be completely taken apart, stripped, cleaned, the wood frame re-varnished, recovered, and then the whole thing re-assembled and the front standard recalibrated. The Graphics you see with a clear varnish coat on the mahogany frame did not end up that way on purpose . . . typically, their owners got deep into the project and realized that the "no cover"
    approach was the only way out of the hole they had dug!

Also, the raised center part of the drop door requires a set of male/female molds to pre-form the covering so that it goes on without wrinkles. This requires some dedicated equipment, and I doubt we would ever recoup our costs. We would pretty much have to invest exactly what Graflex Corp. did originally.

Unfortunately the only option we are now looking into is a spray-on textured covering. It would still require complete disassembly / reassembly but it could be done without spending a fortune.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Thanks,
    Morgan Sparks
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I once say a website on this where the author had refinished these camera bodies...they were wood underneath and quite lovely. Can t remember which model camera had a wooden body...maybe they are all wooden?
    I remember seeing that site too Dave (I can't find the link). He totally stripped off all the covering and it turned out looking good with just the wood refinished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh! I found the link http://home.online.no/~gjon/crown99.htm

The wood looks nice underneath. I hope it is of use to you.

--John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm having nightmares after looking at your Speed Graphic :-) It's like something out of a 1960's acid trip . . . . . . and should have been used to photograph the Beatles or the Stones, or better still the Greatful Dead.

Nice one though it does look amazing, I'll have a good read of how you recovered it as I have a tatty slightly damaged late Speed Graphic in dire need of renovation & recovering.

Meanwhile I'll finish restoring my pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic, but thats far better with no covering instead just the natural wood that Graflex never meant to be seen !

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    I've recovered a Speed Graphic and it was surprisingly easy. . . . . . I went for a tasteful and restrained acid yellow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I came accross the same website very recently when looking at restoring my pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic, the camera is all fine, shutter works well, but the covering was disintergrating and mostly missing, and most aluminum parts badly corroding

However the Crown Graphic in the linked site has had 5mm of teak veneer added so it's not the original wood at all :-) A great idea though.

The Speed Graphic body shown at the bottom looks sfailrl imilar to my older one, except the trackbed mechanism was totally upgraded for the Anniveray models, and all subsequent derivatives.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by JHannon View Post
    Ahh! I found the link http://home.online.no/~gjon/crown99.htm

The wood looks nice underneath. I hope it is of use to you.

--John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin