Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,492   Online: 1266

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re-leathering a Graflex?

Has anyone ever replaced the leather or thought bout doing so on a graflex camera. The one I have corners are kinda starting to fray, and surface in some areas are starting to peel off the leather itself. Also would seem the screws under the leather creating a dimple look in areas of the leather. Or do most of you just keep it going as it is to give it an 'aged' look.

I thought if releathering wasn't too difficult (probally just requires some accurate cuts, and rubber cement or bellow cement). I would probally be a little more creative, like how they do on cameraleather.com, maybe a deep jade green, or a nice textured black. As I've decided I want to get a spring green goat skin for my Canonet G-III QL-17 rangefinder since the picture made it look rather nice.

Your thoughts?
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    "... I would probally be a little more creative, like how they do on cameraleather.com, maybe a deep jade green, or a nice textured black. As I've decided I want to get a spring green goat skin for my Canonet G-III QL-17 rangefinder since the picture made it look rather nice..."
    Have you tried asking the folks at cameraleather.com if they're interested in making a kit for it? There are a lot of Graflexes out there.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it a Graphic or a Graflex? The Graphics should be really easy, just find some very thin leather, cut to match the removed pieces, and attach with contact cement. I recovered a 3a Kodak that way. The Graflex may be harder depending on what you want to do to the hood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny that, I "accidentaly" pimped my Contax 139 because of aki-asahi (another great source for camera skins!) : he sent me my ordered "originalish black" and a "super plastic snake skin" one for free, to practice.

So I installed the "practice" one, my wife saw it like that and loved it, now she refuse to me change it back !

I wonder what kind of wacky covers we could think of for a graflex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Is it a Graphic or a Graflex? The Graphics should be really easy, just find some very thin leather, cut to match the removed pieces, and attach with contact cement. I recovered a 3a Kodak that way. The Graflex may be harder depending on what you want to do to the hood.

The top of the frame says "Graflex" and the metal badge on the front panel inside says Crown Graphic.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I once say a website on this where the author had refinished these camera bodies...they were wood underneath and quite lovely. Can t remember which model camera had a wooden body...maybe they are all wooden?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I once say a website on this where the author had refinished these camera bodies...they were wood underneath and quite lovely. Can t remember which model camera had a wooden body...maybe they are all wooden?
    Depends on the model, mine is definitly wooden, upon removing the rangefinder, and viewfinder, the holes all reveal unfinished wood.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Coincidence?

I just covered the door to a Speed Graphic. That panel was missing and instead of recovering the whole camera, I found a piece of thin BROWN leather, cemented it down, then selectively dyed some of it black. I did all of the flats in black, but left the protruding surfaces and corners brown. Just looks like it's worn like the rest of the camera. A Crown should be really easy 'cause you don't have to remove the FP hardware. I'm thinkin' zebra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think all of the Crown Graphics have an aluminum front and wooden sides. Many of the older Speed Graphics are all wood. Go over to graflex.org and poke around for more information.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin