Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,602   Online: 888

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi dan

there's lots of film out there. and from what all the soothsayers say, they will be around for a while. i shoot the 3 magi ( 4x5, 5x7 + 8x10 ) of the 3 5x7 is my favorite.

- good luck!

-john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Thanks

Thanks for all those who answered my question

Some of you were correct, asking you to predict the future was unfair. But I did get an idea that the people in this forum reminded me of the old American Pioneers. Not afraid of venturing out into uncharted territory, and reaping the rewards.

Dan McGuire

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What's so "uncharted" about 5x7"?

My favorite textbook (written in 1910) recommends 13x18cm (5x7") as "the smallest format for professional photography". It also states that 24x30cm (9.5x12") is the largest practically portable format, a statement with which I have come to agree after attempting to haul a 30x40cm (12x16") camera out of the car.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As has been stated, 5x7 is much more portable than 8x10. And if you keep an eye out, you can pick up an old Elwood 5x7 enlarger for a song. I got one in great condition for $50. I haven't used it yet, and I know they can be finicky, but for $50 I can live with that.

As for film, J&C often has various 8x10 films discounted, that with minor effort can be cut down to 5x7 at half the cost of buying 5x7 film. I've hoarded enough film to last me a few years. As I use it, I buy new stuff and rotate through it.

That said, an 8x10 contact print is a thing of beauty.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ole things have changed a bit since 1910. I am sure that those that use ULF have discovered long ago that it is much easier to take cameras exceeding 9.5x12 off the bed of a stake truck than from an automobile.

This is the proven procedure:
    Remove the gate to the stake truck. Remove the mules from the stake truck. Use the winch to place the ULF camera and assorted equipment from the truck bed unto the mule packs. Open the truck's cab and remove your photographic mule whip. Now, go take your photos.

Now, do you not feel better knowing that you no longer are stuck so close to the minimum recommended film size? I am sure that slapping a 12x16 negative in to your 12x16 Durst will allow you to make a rather nice 16x20.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    As has been stated, 5x7 is much more portable than 8x10. And if you keep an eye out, you can pick up an old Elwood 5x7 enlarger for a song. I got one in great condition for $50. I haven't used it yet, and I know they can be finicky, but for $50 I can live with that.

As for film, J&C often has various 8x10 films discounted, that with minor effort can be cut down to 5x7 at half the cost of buying 5x7 film. I've hoarded enough film to last me a few years. As I use it, I buy new stuff and rotate through it.

That said, an 8x10 contact print is a thing of beauty.
    Don't forget the much under-appreciated Arista films at Freestyle. The Arista EDU Ultra 200 is actually re-packaged Fomapan 200, which is a wonderful film. It is silly cheap- about $30-35 for a box of 25 sheets of 5x7, making it only marginally more expensive than Ilford FP4+ in 4x5. Now THAT's a deal. If you want to see some results with this film, I have a number of palladium prints posted in my gallery here on APUG that were shot on this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMcGuire View Post
    ...Not afraid of venturing out into uncharted territory, and reaping the rewards.
    If you want rewards, follow me here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...0&postcount=18

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dan, buy the next 5,000 foot roll of PlusX Aerial Recon 5" film on Ebay....and relax. It's great film and does well in the freezer.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    If you want rewards, follow me here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...0&postcount=18
    My mother always said "Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ"

I am just glad to know that I am not the only person who thinks this way.

I have just aquired 5 5X7 film holders and I have made up my mind to jump in with both feet.

Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Dan, buy the next 5,000 foot roll of PlusX Aerial Recon 5" film on Ebay....and relax. It's great film and does well in the freezer.
    I haven't seen anything bigger than 500' in a long, long time. Have I just missed it?

And just how big across is a 5,000' roll? I'm picturing a giant wheel of cheese.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin