Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,921   Online: 1169

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ross xpress lenses

I saw a compact graflex on ebay with lot's of holders and a Ross express 8.5" lense I went ahead and got it as a buy it now deal as it was a great price. It was labeled 4x5, so I figured it was a 3.25 x 5.5 though it looked too big in the photos Well. to my pleasant surprise it was a 5x7 with lots of holders that will work well with my press graflex and the compact if I can restore it. Two holders are single plate and were marked autochrome and resemble old time wet plate holders that load in the back.I haven't seen holders from this time like that before.
    Anyway, The Lense is a Ross Xpress 8.5", and I haven't heard much about them. Anyone know about them?
    Thanks, Jamie

Shooter
    35mm
    At the period they were produced they had a reputation of being a lens of good quality.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jamie,

The Xpres is more or less a tessar-type lens, with the rear element air-spaced instead of cemented. Should be a decent lens, although perhaps a bit prone to flair in uncoated.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post
    The Xpres is more or less a tessar-type lens, with the rear element air-spaced instead of cemented. Should be a decent lens, although perhaps a bit prone to flair in uncoated.
    Originally the Xpres design is like a Tessar with one rear group of three cemented elements, somewhere along the line it was made to be Tessar-type with a cemented doublet instead. I do not know of any Xpres (not WA Xpres) with a rear group with air-space.

Shooter
    Large Format

mea culpa

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Originally the Xpres design is like a Tessar with one rear group of three cemented elements, somewhere along the line it was made to be Tessar-type with a cemented doublet instead. I do not know of any Xpres (not WA Xpres) with a rear group with air-space.

Ugg, my mistake. I misread the illustration I had. Seele is indeed correct, rear element is three cemented elements rather than two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, er, ah, Jason, the 105/3.8 Xpres in my Selfix 820 is a tessar type. Two singlets in front of the diaphragm, a cemented doublet behind.

Another example of a trade name that covers more than one design.

Cheers,

Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin