Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,292   Posts: 1,681,345   Online: 1157

Shooter
    4x5 Format

using a 115mm with a MPP

Hi,

I would like to use a grandagon 115mm with my MPP VIII and want to known if this lens is easy to use with this camera. I have only use a 150mm.

Thanks all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not know the camera and have not handled a Rodenstock 115mm Grandagon. As I recall however, the MPP cameras were similar to the Linhof Super Technika cameras. The Rodenstock 115mm Grandagon as I recall is in a Copal 1 with a 82mm front element and as such is relatively large and heavy. I suspect that the camera can handle the lens. I know that I used my 90mm f6.8 Grandagon N (Copal 0) on a recessed board and my Rodenstock Apo Ronar f9.0 360mm lens (in a Copal 3) on my Super Technika IV with little problem.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect you would have a problem attaching the lens to the camera. I have an MPP mk7, which is basically the same, and the front end bellows frame is only about 70mm across. I think (but check to make sure) that the rear element of a 115mm Grandagon is nearer 80mm in diameter.

OK, so you could unscrew the rear section, remove the camera back, attach the lens/board, refix the rear section via the back of the camera...and voilà! You wouldn't get much movement though....

Try a 90mm instead?

Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    thanks all for the answer, I was talking about a grandagon because I can have one for a less price than an other wide lens and perhaps with no need wide lens filter.

Super-angulon 90mm seem to be the best for MPP and for what I am looking for (wide lens) but it's look like so different to use than my 150mm, I'm little afraid about that.

regards
    Jérôme

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by temps variable View Post
    Super-angulon 90mm seem to be the best for MPP and for what I am looking for (wide lens) but it's look like so different to use than my 150mm, I'm little afraid about that.

Hi Jérôme

You are right – the Super Angulon is not an easy lens to use, especially with an MPP. I use an Angulon (not Super) which is much smaller, has a slightly smaller angle of view, and less coverage so camera movements are limited. They are also limited by the fact that the lens is sitting inside the camera shell when focussed at infinity. But it is fine for landscape work, and much cheaper than a Super-Angulon.

If you want to do architectural photography get a monorail!

Bonne chance.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the protruding lens board an advantage when using a 90 mm with the Mk 8? I have an S92 (the Royal Air Force version of an earlier model) which came with the standard 89 mm (3½") f/6.3 and 184 mm (7¼") f/4.5 Wray lenses. The 89 mm is mounted on a protruding board that keeps the front standard securely back on the rails in the main body of the camera.

I've been able to use the S92 with an 80 mm lens, though it isn't ideal. I've also used it with a 105 mm Nikkor-W, but that has too small an image circle to allow any movements and they aren't as readily available as the Angulon. It's a good camera - one that I've used for over thirty years.

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen B; 09-29-2006 at 02:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin