Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,432   Online: 906

Shooter
    Multi Format

Goerz Dagor 3 5/8" f8 wide angle ... ?

Hello,

this is my first thread here on APUG. I started a LF photography recently (it's more fun than I expected and currently I own Tachihara 45 GF with Fujinon 125/5.6 CMW and Caltar 210/6.3 II E.

My question is about the Goerz wide anlge lens I mention in the title of this thread. There is one running on the eBay http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=018 right now and I wonder - is it worth it? $300 - is a lot but still less than Nikkor 90/8 SW or similar.

Does anybody has experience with it? I found out it should cover 4x5 with some movements af f22 but I would like to hear real user experience if possible. I would use it boths with B&W nad color.

It is clear to me that wheter the shutter works is a different story and it would probaly need to get a CLA, but the seller states that the shutter is accurate at all speeds.

thanks

Matus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't address this lens, but if you are happy with your Fuji lens you might look at the Fuji 90mm. I've been very happy with mine and it was cheaper than 300.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A friend of mine is a pro commercial photographer and has one, although in Ilex. He says it just barely covers 4x5. IMO, this is not a good bang for your bucks unless you're wanting a lower contrast look or a tiny lens.

You'll also need a custom filter adapter so along with a CLA, you're looking at another $175 - 225. The 90mm WA Congo Jim Galli had for sale would be a better buy, or save up a few more bucks and look for a used 80mm Schneider SS XL.

Steve

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slnce-z-gsi View Post
    ... I wonder - is it worth it? $300 - is a lot but still less than Nikkor 90/8 SW or similar.
    But it's a lot MORE than a comparable Schneider lens, the 90mm f:6.8 Angulon which has better coverage. The Angulon has more even illumination too, although it can't compete with more modern lenses like the Super-Angulon or indeed the Nikkor 90/8 SW.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're looking for a WA Dagor, the lens to look for is the 4 3/8". Not quite as wide as the 90 (actual is around 110mm), it will cover 5x7 with movement, even fairly wide open. Although not multicoated, it is very flare-free and is capable of producing accurately exposed chromes. Mine is in a Rapax shutter, so you wouldn't be able to use it with strobes, and like the 3 5/8", it would require a custom filter adapter. Since I mostly shoot b/w with it, I have not had much need of filters so this has not been a problem. YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - all -

Thnaks for all your replies and andvices. So I will wait a bit longer and get the Nikkor SW f9.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin