Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,358   Online: 735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New shots of my Crown

A little bit ago I got my first large format camera ( see : http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/32131-im-now-lfer-well.html )

But I did not get 'proper' shots of it like I do most my other cameras, since it was too large and I did not want to break out the roll paper. So took some shots today while at work on the studio in the back. And Yes I know the viewfinder loop got folded backwards on the back-view shot, please don't knock me :rolleyes: As you can see I decided to go ahead and remove the rangefinder+cam, and the sports finder I think its called. I also installed a fresnel lens on the back (I had it in front of the ground glass, but doing some focusing test, I found having it on the back of the groundglass with ridges facing forward gave the most accurate focus).

-Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nice shots, nice camera, Karl from your post title I thought maybe you were a king or something

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Nice shots, nice camera, Karl from your post title I thought maybe you were a king or something
    I might be to someone....
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Karl,

Is the Fresnel on the outside of your ground glass? I am curious because the orginal equipment fresnel went in first them the ground glass overtop the fresnel on the graphic cameras?

Just curious.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Karl,

Is the Fresnel on the outside of your ground glass? I am curious because the orginal equipment fresnel went in first them the ground glass overtop the fresnel on the graphic cameras?

Just curious.

Dave
    Thats correct, as you may read on graflex.org , the fresnel goes on the lens side of the ground glass, with the ridges facing back. But thats only for graphic cameras that were designed to take a fresnel, as the distance offset of the ground glass would cause the focusing not to match that of the film plane. I tested mine with it in front, then with the fresnel in back ( with the ridges facing forward) , and based on my shooting test, the fresnel on back is accurate, where as on the front is not for my crown graphic. Results may be different on speed graphics, or any other cameras known to come with them, and I Guess if you got a fresnel later on when yours didnt come with one, you might have to shoot some test on a tripod at wide open one some sationary objects to see which one gives the accurate focus. I read somewhere there were some speed graphics that were designed to take the fresnels, but were not shipped with fresnels, as such their focus was always off by a little unless you used shims to space the groundglass back 1mm, or added in a fresnel then the focus was tack sharp.

In short, my focus was accurate if I put the fresnel on back.

Oh here's how I'm packing my graflex.

On the outside of the bag, I usually have my Flash Bracket, which has a PC-Sync to Hot-shoe adapter on it, and fits my crown graphic like a glove ( the bracket goes all the way around it with the hot shoe right in the middle on top of the graflex ), when I Got my EOS-1 on it I just hook up the PC sync usually since I Shoot manually, when I hook my graphic upto it, I use the Bi-Post to PC Sync to hook it to the hot shoe.
    Last edited by kb244; 10-03-2006 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Karl,

Believe me, I know how they go, without reading Graflex.org, I make ground glass for a living and equip a ton of cameras, I was just curious, but I am very familier with just about any ground glass focusing situation you an think of.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Karl,

Believe me, I know how they go, without reading Graflex.org, I make ground glass for a living and equip a ton of cameras, I was just curious, but I am very familier with just about any ground glass focusing situation you an think of.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass
    Yea I figured I'd reply for those who may be stoping by the thread and wouldnt know otherwise. Also was thinking bout getting one of them Satin Snow ground glass, but beleive it or not cant really afford it right now (even as affordible as they are lol). (I manage to get most of my film either free or very reasonable, so thats how I still manage to survive shooting it, besides I work in a camera store).
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244 View Post
    Yea I figured I'd reply for those who may be stoping by the thread and wouldnt know otherwise. Also was thinking bout getting one of them Satin Snow ground glass, but beleive it or not cant really afford it right now (even as affordible as they are lol). (I manage to get most of my film either free or very reasonable, so thats how I still manage to survive shooting it, besides I work in a camera store).
    Karl,

Believe me for the little bit of money that Dave charges, you will welcome the results of the Satin Snow GG. Focusing will be so much easier. Try to come up with the $15 or so dollars, it will be some of the best money you've spent in photography.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    Karl,

Believe me for the little bit of money that Dave charges, you will welcome the results of the Satin Snow GG. Focusing will be so much easier. Try to come up with the $15 or so dollars, it will be some of the best money you've spent in photography.

Rich
    Maybe in 2 week, its not in the budget in the beginning of the month, just like how finding a graflok back for the camera, or a box of normal 4x5 film, or etc is not in the budget.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Karl,

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass
    Dave, I must have misunderstood what you wrote. My little 2x3 Pacemaker Speed, made in 1947, has what I suspect is the original focusing panel. No fresnel and high bosses for the GG to rest on. My little Century, made in 1951, has what I think is its original focusing panel. Fresnel, low bosses for the fresnel + GG to rest on. Graflex made 'em both ways, what's right for one is wrong for the other.

Cheers,

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin