Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,352   Online: 841

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    George, I love ya man, you always think of the solution!

By the way, I am planning on a trip to the Big apple and would really like to taste the best slice in the town, could you recommend a place to go, please?

Dave

Dave,

I generally just order (when my wife will let me, that is) from a local joint. But if I were to recommend a place it would John's on Bleeker (the location of the original one -there are two branches now).

To quote Zagat's review of John's:

"Pizza the way God intended."

Note: Expect crowds and waits, for the obvious reason.

As to Chicago pizza. It's really a different style (thick crust) and has its fans. Here in NYC we use the term "Sicilian" to differentiate a thick crust pie from the more traditional "thin".

I stopped contributing to pizza comparison threads because they can get nastier than those about beer, cheese or religion!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Call the manufacturer back.

Tell them you're a doctor and a patient has just walked into your office with two fingers stuck together with their Gorilla Glue.

Ask them if the "patient" will require surgery and re-hab or if there's an "easier" way to dissolve the glue?
    An emergency room doctor would probably just slowly peel the fingers apart, possibly using a scapel to trim the top dermus layer as they went. Works great for cyanoacrolate glues as they don't have good sheer strength.

I think Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane glue and may be mildly soluble in acetone so alternately soaking and gently rubbing or scraping may remove the material.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two super solvents often used in chemistry for stubborn jobs.

One is dimethylformamide, and the other is dimethylsulfoxide.

They are both very powerful and both will carry chemicals directly into the human body via the skin. As such, dissolving asprin in dimethyl sulfoxide and then rubbing on a sore joint or the head will cause immediate relief from an ache. It was severely restricted in sales for that reason. It was once used rather freely in sports and drug use. I should say it was once abused freely.

In any event, with proper precautions, using double gloves, you might be able to dissolve the glue with them. Another caution, it can strip off paints and ruin finishes depending on the nature of the finish. Test them before use and be very careful of the liquid before AND after use.

After use, the liquid will be quite toxic due to all of the things the liquid dissolved during use.

This is a way out suggestion using cutting edge solvents. Don't get 'cut' using them. Take great care. Please note that I'm posting this as a last ditch possible solution. I take no responsibility for misuse of these two solvents.

Also, highly cross linked or high molecular weight glues sometimes cannot be dissolved except by a strong acid or base and you don't want to use that on your camera.

BTW, as a side note, DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) all by itself is not very toxic at all, but DMF (dimethyl formamide) can be toxic under some conditions, but by itself with no extremes, it is also low in toxicity. We used DMF to clean our labware at Kodak. With acid or base and heat it can decompose into methyl alcohol and formic acid.

Acetonitrile is a third possible super solvent. It is similar to those above but is less polar, as the above solvents dissolve freely in water.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't personally know of any way to remove Gorilla (polyurethane) glue, but I've seen suggestings of freezing it and chipping away, and with not much luck.

It is heat sensitive and can be easily melted. You do have to get about 150 degrees to do it and it makes a mess worse than thick honey on a kitchen table...

This may be of some interest:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/archi.../t-383300.html

Images
    It might be easier to dissolve the camera. Gorilla glue is polyurethane. Once dried, it stays that way. It can only be removed mechanically. Try a nylon scrub pad as long as that doesn't mess up the camera. I don't know how your camera is finished.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    I don't personally know of any way to remove Gorilla (polyurethane) glue, but I've seen suggestings of freezing it and chipping away, and with not much luck.
    Freezing is a good suggestion. You can find an aerosol can of "freezing stuff"
    at Radio Shack (if you are in the states or another electronics supply place). It is used to help de-bug electronic circuits sometimes. I've used it to machine little rubber bits. Hit the glue with the freezing stuff and try to scrape it off with a plastic putty knife from the hardware store.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    TWe used DMF to clean our labware at Kodak.

PE
    PE,

Can you tell me more about this?

Thanks,

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    PE,

Can you tell me more about this?

Thanks,

Don Bryant
    Every day at shift change, we put a basket of dirty labware in the hall next to our door with a card in it with our room #. The cleaning detail picked the basket up and delivered it to the cleaning room where a large 'dishwasher' was located. Instead of water, it used DMF to clean the labware.

The next shift change, we picked up our clean labware.

Enough?

PE

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Every day at shift change, we put a basket of dirty labware in the hall next to our door with a card in it with our room #. The cleaning detail picked the basket up and delivered it to the cleaning room where a large 'dishwasher' was located. Instead of water, it used DMF to clean the labware.

The next shift change, we picked up our clean labware.

Enough?

PE
    Well I was interested in how the DMF was used, etc. as I would like to clean lab ware in my darkroom more throughly.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Well I was interested in how the DMF was used, etc. as I would like to clean lab ware in my darkroom more throughly.
    Oh, I understood you. But you see, thats all I know about the process. Now you know as much as I do.

OTOH, in graduate school, we cleaned our pyrex and stainless steel ware by soaking them in isopropyl alcohol saturated with potassium hydroxide. Nice strong mix. It removed everything.

They probably don't allow this sort of thing anymore.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin