Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 761

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This little article could probably get almost any sane person (or not, depending on viewpoint) to start searching high, low and everywhere for 5x7 cameras:

http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie...at/0106nottoo/
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How familar are you with how large format works? Using and handling the large format camera is very different from medium and 35 mm format. Some introductory articles on the large format can be found in the free article sections of the View Camera magazine site. See
    http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks - some really interesting and useful links.

Matt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's a thread I wrote about a perfectly useable 7X5 camera fetched off evilbay for approx. £30 Of course shipping to UK would have doubled that easily but still it seems a nice bargain. Lens panels are easily fabricated for modern lenses in shutter.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    With a 5 x 7 enalrger in hand, you can do both contact prints and enlarged images. I would lean towards a 5 x 7.

You may ultimately go for an 8 x 10....

Outside of some of the great deals others here have pointed out, 4 x 5 would seem to be the most 'reasonable'.

On a final note, I think you will love it and never turn back.

Good luck and email or post with questions along the way.

You've had lots of good advice, so I'll add my carrot to the pot. Consider a B&J or Agfa Ansco 5x7 that will accept a 4x5(or5x4) back. These aren't terribly expensive and they'll allow you to shoot polaroids, color, as well as monochrome. You can pop on the 5x7 back and make lovely contacts & explore alternative processes....a lot of versatility.
    Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's an interesting point - I was wondering about the possibility of using 4x5 with a 5x7 camera.

How often can this be done?

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    This little article could probably get almost any sane person (or not, depending on viewpoint) to start searching high, low and everywhere for 5x7 cameras:

http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie...at/0106nottoo/

Dear Jerevan,

Thanks for the plug. (I take it you noticed who wrote it...)

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Of course I did, Roger.

I was on the verge of writing something like "our esteemed aquitanian fellow did this" but decided people would notice who wrote it anyway.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    That's an interesting point - I was wondering about the possibility of using 4x5 with a 5x7 camera.

How often can this be done?

Thanks.
    Almost always. If the camera doesn't come with a 4x5 back, you can mount one on a sheet of wood (for a few cameras, metal) of the right thickness and interchange that with the 5x7 back. Buy the 4x5 back new from Cambo or buy a 'wrecker' 4x5 and take the back off that. As the article Jerevan quoted mentions, I have 5x7 and 4x5 reducing backs for my De Vere 8x10.

Cheers,

R.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin