Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,985   Online: 991

Shooter
    Medium Format

Getting out of 4x5

GAS is a terrible thing... This year it started with MF and the RB67 Pro system. That has become my "general shooter". For some time, I have had these three 8x10 Fidelity holders on the shelf, and the bug to move into contact (having 5 boxes of AZO in the deep freeze...) has become overwhelming. I already have the contact printing frames, so the camera and lenses are next.

Now the cameras are not that expensive in the scheme of things, but lenses can be a real cardiac stimulator! To help with this I have decided to sell quite a bit of my 4x5 stuff. The Toyoview and three lenses are presently up on eBay listed by spectrabird. If they don't sell there, I will likely list them here. Which brings to my attention that my subscription expired the other day....
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Images
    I kinda let film dictate what I might get out of in the future. I have lots of 120, 4x5 and 8x10 in the freezer soI won't be departing any of those formats anytime soon. There isn't any 35mm though so maybe those two cameras ought to go. Naa, I couldn't buy those 8x10 film holders of yours for what the 35mm are worth at the moment. :-)

Stew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Understood completely. About 6 years ago, I began getting the 35mm end back together after several years without. Wanted a pair of Canon A-1s, having slobbered over them 20 some years ago when they were new but unaffordable to me. This was my intro to ebay. Now, the same cameras are going for a pittance compared to just a few years ago. Although I have not shot 35 in close to a year, methinks I will hang on to them.

I am noting that the pendulum is swinging the other way with pro grade MF systems. Prices appear to be inching their way back up, whilst LF monorails seem to becoming cheaper. LF lenses are still in the highway robbery category...
    Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I got my RB67 earlier this year, I see little need for my 4x5. If I'm going to use a view camera, I'll use the 8x10 and contact print- for small negatives to be enlarged (yes, 4x5 is small), I can use the RB67 for almost everything. I think my 4x5 view camera is retired.

Of course, the hand-held Speed Graphic and Crown Graphic stay in use.
    juan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I can understand the 8 x 10 contact print over the 4 x 5....as I prefer the 8 x 10 over the 4 x 5, but others mileage may vary. But the 4 x 5 will allow for movements and it slows me down over the MF and I shoot better that way. But, having said all this, my 8 x 10 and 7 x 17 are most often used cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my RB67 which is great for large rollfilm negatives, but I like my crown graphic for some small degree of movement allows me and just shooting sheets at a time. I'd likely be interested in your toyo, I just have to figure if my wife will kill me or not. Also I got a trade ad in the apug classified, take a look at it and see if anything there interest you.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Glad your making the move up to 8x10. You will really enjoy it.

Feel like parting with one of those boxes of AZO? I can contribute abit of money to your "get an 8x10 lens" fund.

All the best,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

8x10 lenses don't have to be expensive unless you're looking for new multi-coated stuff. Look for Wollensaks ( the 1A and the Velostigmatic)and Ilex(375mm)---they're excellent performers and won't break the bank. Also consider the old (double convertible) symmar. Even the old APO artars which are a lot less expensive than the RD versions are very nice indeed and IMHO as sharp as they come.

8x10 rocks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is an interesting thread. I have also found myself using my recently aquired MF gear more and more and my 4x5 less and less. If I could afford MF with a tilt lens setup (SL66 but = big $$) that would be ideal.

But I won't be ditching my 4x5. About 2 days after selling it off I will decide I want to shoot some architecture or still lifes or whatever that require the movements and flexibility of the 4x5.

Of course if movements are not something you think you need then size of enlargements is the deciding factor. For me, since 11x14 is about as big as I go, a MF negative (6x6 in my case) is more then enough.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The transition to MF started mid-last year when I got a hell of a deal on a Mat-124. It was love at first frame, but that led to thinking that this made a great walkabout camera, but the lens attachments were less than optimal, so why spend the bucks?

This led to considering the RB system, that I had glanced at over the years. Once I put a trigger grip, one-piece motor drive, and the WLF on it, the rest as they say is history. The additional 645 format has got me shooting transparency, something that I have not done in at least 15 years for myself (clients not included!).

The only thing I have used the monorail for is architectural documentation work. That is something that I am not doing any of these days in HABS format. I still have an old Busch Pressman D in need of some rehab and TLC that could fill many holes should I need the format again in the future. I sold my Graflex Super Graphic some months back at a handsome profit...

Having just won a couple awards in competition and setting up my mounting & matting end of the darkroom, 8x10 makes for a logical choice. It will contact print on the AZO, and can be enlarged/reduced in an enlarger. That is another project I am working on as well. That involves my second Beseler 45M, and removing the 45A head, building an 8x10 light source and carrier similar to the one the Chinese guy is selling on eBay. Tin bending anyone???

Not to be a hoarder, but I think that I will hang on to my AZO (now deep frozen in nitrogen packs) until I see whether this thing that Michael & Paula have conceived is going to work out, achieves the same chloride appearance, and reacts equally well in Amidol and the Formulary Glycin developer.
    Patrick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin