Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,393   Online: 981

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Sheet film container

I need a way to stow 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film that has been exposed. I'd like to unload it from film holders in a changing bag and then reload film.

Obviously I'd like something that is opaque and sturdy but won't scratch the emulsion. I thought of making something out of delrin and lining it with fiber paper or something like that.

Perhaps there is a product already on the market that some of you use?

Any ideas?

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that most of us just use old film boxes.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old film boxes work great, or if you want something indestructible, Mike Walker makes film storage boxes of ABS plastic. I have never seen one, but I assume they are the same very high quality as his cameras. They are sold by Bromwell Marketing and I am sure others.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll third the film box idea. I use this method myself with very good results. In the beginning I didn't have any film boxes, but I save them now and have accumulated enough to have boxes to hold standard and +/- development sheets as well as color. These work well for sending E-6 film out for development too (just mark them well with your address and be sure to ask for their return). You might be able to buy empties from J and C Photo, an APUG sponsor.

- Randy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Regarding obtaining empties, if you're near a lab that does sheet film, they're usually willing to give you an empty film box, especially if you're planning to let them develop your film. I reinforce my old boxes with Gaffers tape.
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay, sounds good, I'll try boxes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The other option is to go to a lab and ask them for the bags that were used to hold photographic paper in.

I've used them in emergency situations and haven't had any problems.

And, ALL photo labs have lots of these kicking around!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd put them in the opaque plastic envelopes and then store them in boxes. Freestyle sells extra bags for 25cents a piece.

-A

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    As a friend of mine told me, you only need one box.
    As you may already take notes about exposition, N+ dev, film type, subjet and the like, you have ordered and numbered sheet of paper (or entries in a notebook) so the trick is to store exposed film in the exact same order than your notes.
    Returning home, you unpack the film according to the porcessing notes et voila !
    If you're a bit paranoïd, you can, as I do, double check using the film identification notches to ascertain nobody has messed up your ordered pile of film.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I need a way to stow 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film that has been exposed. I'd like to unload it from film holders in a changing bag and then reload film.

Obviously I'd like something that is opaque and sturdy but won't scratch the emulsion. I thought of making something out of delrin and lining it with fiber paper or something like that.

Perhaps there is a product already on the market that some of you use?

Any ideas?
    I use a pair of black ABS tubes with threaded caps on one end (permanently capped on the other). One holds cut film which is not exposed and the other one holds the exposed film. I've done this for a couple of holiday trips and it works well and it's cheap.

I keep a notebook log of exposures, so I unload in the same order that I took the photos, then develop in reverse order, eliminating the need for N, N+, N- storage. The notebook tells me which negative is next.

cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin