Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,213   Online: 931

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Longer bellows, more precise, more movements...

It's a pity that the Carbon Infinity is out of production.
    Last edited by Ole; 10-24-2006 at 08:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typing and speaking on the phone should not be attempted simultaneously. At least not in different languages!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Basically, I have enjoyed my Shen Hao for the past few years but the camera is starting to fall apart. I have discovered what movements are most important to me. This is rise, fall, shift, and front tilt as I do contemporay landscape work.

The Shen Hao has been great. Has a lot of movements and many which I do not use. It is not very smooth to use and want something of better quality with smoother movements and only the movements that I need to reduce weight on the camera. Also, I never fold my camera up so I would prefer a non-folding camera.

The Shen Hao is an amazing first camera as it was considerably cheaper than the other cameras and had many differerent movements to explore which ones I needed to utilize.

Any thoughts of what cameras you recommend based on the above requirements?

Thanks
    Ross

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Also, only use a 150 and 210 lens. I do not use a lot of lenses and like to keep things simple.

Thanks
    Ross

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    What about a 300mm telephoto lens? Like the Fuji? That's what I use. Kill two birds.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    ooops, sorry, that was for the bellows question. For smoothness of movements an arca swiss is probably the way to go. IF you've go the dough orbix is very nice. It is also non-folding. I own the Discovery, which is a great arca swiss for the money. But you can get the field camera with orbix. The non-folding nature with the arca ball head/quick release allows for very fast set up. You can leave a lens on the camera in this fashion too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    The only thing I could wish for with my Shen Hao, would be a longer bellows for 300mm lens use. The rest seems to have held up pretty well in all respects. Curious about other's opinions for improvements, as mine still functions well. tim

P.S. The Ebony really is a nice camera, but at 5 or 6 times the cost, it should be!
    I second the vote for a Fuji 300T lens for the Shen Hao. I have one, and it is a fantastic performer for 4x5. I too am puzzled by the assertion that after four years someone's is falling apart. I've had mine for five plus, and I've used it pretty hard, not every day, but I've put it through some serious paces, including beaches, hiking at 9000', and deserts. You'd have a hard time telling mine from new, still. No, the Shen is not the smoothest focusing or most precise camera you can buy, but it's more than good enough for the money. I have used it for professional architecture shoots, and it was more than good enough for that. If you need more precision or smoothness than it offers, then you should be looking at a monorail with geared movements like a Sinar or an Arca-Swiss.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shen Hao 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Shen Hao 5x7. They've got the upgrade waiting for you -)
    Nick

Have you used this camera at all? Any reviews?

Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup it's my main camera. Others here have it also. Currently they have two different 5x7 models. I'm not sure exactly what's changed with the newer model but I think the bellows are shorter and the camera lighter.

My model just works. Not sure what else there is to say. It's not the lightest option so if you're looking for super light it's not the choice. Good bellows range for both 5x7 and 4x5. Solid. But my longest lens is only 300mm so I've not used it at full extension. Full extension is around 600mm.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ... Rise, fall, shift and front tilt, lightweight, possibly non-folding, more solid than a Shen-Hao...

Gandolfi has a second-hand Traditional 4x5" for sale now. I can vouch for the solidity of the Traditionals, at least. My 5x7" doesn't have front shift or swing, so I don't know how the stability would be affected by that addition.

It's not a low-cost camera. But it's remarkably smooth yet rugged - my 5x7" replaced a Technika III 5x7". The most noticable difference was in the weight!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Gandolfi Traditional

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    ... Rise, fall, shift and front tilt, lightweight, possibly non-folding, more solid than a Shen-Hao...

Gandolfi has a second-hand Traditional 4x5" for sale now. I can vouch for the solidity of the Traditionals, at least. My 5x7" doesn't have front shift or swing, so I don't know how the stability would be affected by that addition.

It's not a low-cost camera. But it's remarkably smooth yet rugged - my 5x7" replaced a Technika III 5x7". The most noticable difference was in the weight!
    Are you saying that the Gandolfi is heavier than the Linhof?

Ross

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin