Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the responses, particularly Kirk.

The problem with the bulkier cameras, like the Sinars, is that they're bulky!
    Down here in SA I don't get budgets that allow me a crew of assistants so I've got to carry the stuff myself!
    I use the Panfield which Andrew made specifically for architecture: it's lightweight but sturdy, compatible with the Linhof / Wista lensboards and he made it with a Linhof Technika back system.
    I use it in conjunction with my Linhof Technika, but end up using it more because I get full range of movement (to the ends of image circles) with the range of lenses I currently use: 58mm XL to 180mm.
    I also, like you Kirk, shoot a fair amount on 6x9 format but use a 75mm mainly, also with my 90mm mainly on 4x5.
    I must be honest, I was casting a line to see if there would be any suggestions that would better the Panfield. From what I've found about the Arca Swiss is that they're close but I think my Panfield is simpler and lighter.
    I'm exploring the possibility of continuing with the production of Andrew's camera now that he's passed on. I was wondering if it would be worth it?
    I'll post some images of it in the next few days.

I have an Epson 4990 scanner which for 2 years I thought couldn't possibly be as good as something like the Imacon - until recently when I wasn't satisfied with the results I was getting from an Imacon at a scan shop, scanning 4x5 negs.
    I compared my Epson and found the results to be as good!
    Now I scan all my own film and send digital copy to clients.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Expedition Review

As you will see in my review of the Wisner Expedition Technical Field (follow the link below) you will see that I purchased it because it does an admirable job of both landscape and architectural photography. In the beginning I was using it to photography skyscapers and much preferred it over the rail camera that I had. Now it is mostly used for landscapes and I wouldn't part with it. I won't go on a long winded rant here; you can read the review if you are interested.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ght=expedition
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Arca Swiss.

Hands down.

I'm assuming you want a 4x5...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
    Last edited by User Removed; 11-09-2006 at 07:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any 4x5 will do, as long as it has required movements. A wide lens (90mm) bag bellows, short rail... etc. I have from time to time used the M645 super w/ shift lens and clients have been quite happy. On the super, I've used the 35mm lens for interior rooms and set at mid-wall height. Most important to support the tripod with some additional weight if the camera is not a brute. Also, be more concerned with lighting equipment....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi again tristan

one thing i forgot to mention is that i bring 2 cameras to every job -
    a toyo and a speed graphic. the toyo is for shots that require PC
    and the speed graphic for everything else. if i was to get rid of the toyo and get something else, it would be exactly what kirk suggested. i use a 65mm + 90mm for most of my "client work" and i use a rollback if it needs to be smaller --- oh, and the 65mm fits on the speed graphic with a flat board

good luck!
    john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Tristan,

Though probably heavier (about 7 1/2 lbs) than the Arca Swiss F line and your Panfield, you may also want to consider the Linhof Technikardan 45S (or older 45). If you can get accustomed to the way the camera opens and closes it is a great camera. It is frequently a 1st or 2nd (to the Arca Swiss F line) choice camera by many. I do not shoot much in the way of architecture (I shoot Landscape), but the camera will take all the Technika IV/V/M boards, is compact, and collapsible (triple extension rail [based on the Technika triple extension bed], very well designed and made, and has a lot of movement capability (only center tilts and swings however). These are readily available used on eBay and from other sources. I have the 45S which is the improved version and I like it very much.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    The problem with the bulkier cameras, like the Sinars, is that they're bulky!
    I always used to use a Sinar (Norma) for architecture, don't think you can get round a monorail, 90 mm lens got most use, 75 mm is good for tight(-ish) spots but still with some movements, 65 or 58 for desperate cases.

If bulk/weight are issues, the best answer I know is a Toho View - quite incredibly compact!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post

Snip

If bulk/weight are issues, the best answer I know is a Toho View - quite incredibly compact!

Regards,

David
    And light. Kerry Thalmann with minor modification got this camera below 3 lbs in weight.

Here is the link to Kerry's review of the camera:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Tristan,

I'm currently using a hand-made Panfield by Andrew Meintjies.
    I am curious about this camera. I have never heard of it before. Where can I see pictures of it? Thanks
    Kirk Gittings
    Architecture and Landscape Photography

www.gittingsphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Tristan,

I am curious about this camera. I have never heard of it before. Where can I see pictures of it? Thanks
    Hi Kirk,

I am not sure about photos, maybe Tristan can supply them. Unfortunately Andrew Meintjies has passed away and as far as I know, the Panfield cameras are out of production.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin