Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,412   Online: 1057

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Can I ask for your thoughts on the Apo Symmar L 150mm?

Can I ask for your thoughts on the Apo Symmar L 150mm? As I am considering buying said lens?

Cheers

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Symmars and for that matter their Rodenstock equivalent the Sironar's are superb lenses.

The Apo-Symmars are even better, and then Schnieder brought out a second series the Apo Symmar L.

All modern multicoated Symmars are excellent lenses and Schieder constantly revised and improved the Symmar. A current version of the 150mm Symmar actually covers 10x8.

In going for an Apo Symmar L you are probapbly buying one of the best 150mm lenses available.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-11-2006 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl View Post
    Can I ask for your thoughts on the Apo Symmar L 150mm? As I am considering buying said lens?
    The best of the best of the best.

You might as well consider an Apo-Sironar S 150mm. If you can't make up your mind, perhaps throw a dice?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    New,probably not worth the money. Used maybe. There are plenty of used 150's out there for 1/2 the price or less. Look for apo sironar s. I had the apo symmar that they discontinued just before the "L" series came out. It's one of 2 lenses i purchased new that i haven't been happy with. It wasn't sharp past f16. I don't know how much better the "L"'s will be.
    vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have the APO-Symmar (non L) and have had no issues about lack of sharpness. It is a very nice Gold version of the lens which I bought used 5 years ago. It even got completely soaked in salt water 2 years ago when a wave broke over my head whilst under the dark cloth!

Unless you are using extreme movements, I doubt you will need the larger image circle very much of the time. I don't; unless occasionally doing a 'reverse movements' shot. This is not so effective with the 150 as my 210, so is infrequent.

Mine is in a Compur shutter and given choice, I would prefer a Copal. After the salt water incident, I had been expecting the shutter to pack in - no such 'luck'!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think there is very little difference between the Symmar L and the Sironar S. Even so, individual lenses sometimes vary and prices can vary a lot (both are especially important to consider if you are buying a lens used).

My attitude is that it is important to test a lens before committing to keep it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Schneider 150mm APO Symmar-L is the only lens I actually own for 4x5, right now. I use if regularly for copy work, and my own artsy-tartsy landscape/environmental stuff. I've been very pleased with its performance, no complaints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin