Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,516   Online: 851

Shooter
    Multi Format

should I sell my broncolor fcm 2??

hi everyone,
    I recently bought a sinar f2. (have made some succesfull images in studio already)
    It came with all sorts of stuff including a broncolor fcm 2 meter + sinar probe for ttl metering.
    That is some very expensive equipment, retailling for almost 900 dollar, right now.
    I was thinking, why not selling this metering equipment since I already have a digital spotmeter (sekonic)?
    One more reason: the fcm 2 is a flash/ambient meter, the sekonic is both + spot meter.
    Most likely the broncolor is better in terms of sheer quality and reputation, but I can't see why I'd even use it, since I always take spot readings...
    the probe allows for TTL metering right on the groundglass, which is tremendously handy, and directly gets rif of al the calculations.
    But is that worth it? It's still TTL , it still does not read the light there, but only the light here.

At this point my feeling is "sell it!", combined with a little sentiment of getting rid of such a high quality product.

can anyone, add something to my thought? Does it make sence to sell?

hope to get a clearer view, thanks!

kind regards SAM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Sam,

You don't say which model of Sekonic you have in your posting. If it's capable of taking the Sinar probe, then I would suggest selling the FCM2 Broncolor meter.

If your Sekonic isn't capable of taking the probe, then I'd think twice about it. The other thing is... does the FCM2 probe have the banana jack or it it proprietary to the FCM2 meter? If it's proprietary... you may not be able to use it on your Sekonic anyway. I remember one of the older probes could be plugged into a Minolta meter and a Sekonic meter...

Does your camera have the metering back on it? Or, is it the standard back?

Locating the probe in the metering back allows you to measure the exact area you want to meter. The big advantage here is that you don't need to calculate bellows factors, filter factors, etc, etc.

Lastly, people aren't/won't be paying you anywhere close to the actual retail price of these items. I've seen mint condition FCM2 go for $350 - 400 on the bay.

Anyway... good luck on the decision. It's never easy to decide on some of this stuff!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for your post,
    I don't have my sekonic here so I can not check.
    I did not even think about only selling the fcm 2 and using the probe with the sekonic... (sekonic L-488 i have, old but very great)
    I expect to get around 225 euro for it.... think that's realistic.

thanks game

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Game,

Just make sure to look at the end of the probe to ensure that it'll fit the Sekonic meter. If it has a banana plug... it'll fit. I just checked the Sinar Bron site and it didn't say anything about the probe.

The older probe had the banana plug for sure...

As for the Sekonic meter... make sure it had the appropriate plug-in for the probe end. I know the 608 and 708 accepts it. But, I'm not sure about the L-488. [The jack looks like the jack in a Sony Walkman that accepts the headphones.]

225 euros is approximately US$290. That's pretty darn realistic but it will always depend on the condition of the unit. You can always post it for sale here on APUG or on The Large Format Forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

Good luck on the sale.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi there,
    I tried but the probe does not fit. It's a shame such beautiful stuff has t go, but I figured it's best.
    I sold it for 250 euro's which is something like 325 dollar.
    Not too bad I think,
    thanks for helping me out here, kind regards Sam

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin