Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,493   Online: 649

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I'm suprised at how many people use wide lenses on their 8x10's. Pretty much the only time I do is when making close-up images.

It's really handy to have a few long lenses on hand when photographing. I highly suggest, and several others have too, on getting at least a Nikkor-M 450mm. I absolutly love my 24" (600mm) Red Dot Artar, but lots of people don't thing they need a lens that long.

Personally, I don't think it's needed to have 2-3 "wide angle" lenses. You should really try to spread out and try some different things.
    Last edited by User Removed; 11-13-2006 at 10:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ryan, I think it (wide angle) has to do with personal shooting style and personal tastes. I have a triple convertible on my 8x10 and just got a 210mm because the 12" triple was not wide enough for my tastes. While I problably wouldn't get multiple wide angle lenses for any of my cameras, I do think that I would be lost without one in the round up. For what it's worth, on my 4x5 I primarily use the 127 Ektar, although I have a 152 and 203 as well.

- Randy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Neil,

I usually carry 3 lenses in my 8x10 camera backpack: a 210mm wide angle (Kowa) that stays in the front standard when the camera is folded, a 250mm wide angle (Kodak wide field), and a triple convertible ca. 310mm-480mm-660mm (Cooke series VX). So, effectively, this is 5 lenses... This set of optics has kept me in good shape so far when I am out in the field.

I got the Kowa to replace a Schneider Claron because the Kowa has a little more coverage. My first triple convertible was a Wollensak with quite similar focal lengths as the Cooke. Both of these are excellent for starters and can be found for good deals sometimes on ebay. In fact, I believe Jim Galli has a 210 Claron listed as we speak. Good luck.

Best, Markus

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    Ryan, I think it (wide angle) has to do with personal shooting style and personal tastes. I have a triple convertible on my 8x10 and just got a 210mm because the 12" triple was not wide enough for my tastes. While I problably wouldn't get multiple wide angle lenses for any of my cameras, I do think that I would be lost without one in the round up. For what it's worth, on my 4x5 I primarily use the 127 Ektar, although I have a 152 and 203 as well.

- Randy
    Randy,

Absolutly, lens choice has to do with your personal shooting style and what type of subject matter you photograph. That is why I asked him what type of lens he uses most on the 4x5.

A triple convertible is a great idea to have three lenses in one...however, it's a shame that nearly all covertible lenses are so poor quality. I have yet to use a convertible that even came close to the quality of a single focal length lens. Possible the new Cooke lens is good, however...the results I've seen are still visually less sharp and contrasty, even in a 8x10 contact print! I guess the Protar that Adam's used is quite good however.

What type of convertible are you using?

Shooter
    Large Format
    2X your current focal length for the 8X10 equilevalent (aprox).

90mm in 4X5=180mm in 8X10
    150mm=300mm
    210mm=420mm

My 8X10 set is

210mm
    300mm
    480mm

I sometimes add a 150mm and a 250 Imagon.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi ryan

i agree with randy - it is all a personal taste sort of thing.
    ... not everyone has the same reasons for the lenses they have and use for any format (i have a handful of lenses between 90 and 150 for my 4x5, 5x7) and i use them if i can't get far enough back to to use 150 (or 210 in the case of the 5x7), some folks just like "the look" of a short focal length -- and not everyone wants to have razor sharp images

--john

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ryan, I think you would be surprised at how "poor" (by modern standards) most of Ansel Adams' lenses were.

I've used convertible Symmars in all sizes, and while not quite as good as the complete lens they are quite usable with a little bit of care.

I've got hold of two nice Protar's too, so I'll be doing a comparison in a while.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    What type of convertible are you using?
    I've seen your work, and it's impressive, but your lenses are way out of my budget range. I've got a Turner-Reich triple that came with my camera when it was new, the 12.5", 19", 25" version, which shows almost no edge separation at all. It's there, to be sure, but you have to get right up close to see it. So far I like the results, but I mostly use it 'un-converted' as it were, at 12".

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages View Post

I sometimes add a 150mm and a 250 Imagon.
    Does your 250 Imagon cover 8x10? I thought it was for 4x5.

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    8x10 Format

8x10 lens choices

I sometimes travel a long way from my vehicle when photographing - so size and weight are a big consideration for me. I usually carry the following lenses with me - although they don't cover 8x10 by a large margin, they are more than adequate as I am only making contact prints:

159mm wollensak
    240 fujinon A
    14" red dot artar (my heavy lens)
    450mm fujinon C

I also sometimes add a 300mm nikkor

If I could afford one, I would sell the artar for a 360 f10 fujinon, but I see one just went on ebay for over 800.00$
    Climbabout
    Tim Jones

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin