Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,587   Online: 906

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by climbabout View Post
    I sometimes travel a long way from my vehicle when photographing - so size and weight are a big consideration for me. I usually carry the following lenses with me - although they don't cover 8x10 by a large margin, they are more than adequate as I am only making contact prints:

159mm wollensak
    240 fujinon A
    14" red dot artar (my heavy lens)
    450mm fujinon C

I also sometimes add a 300mm nikkor

If I could afford one, I would sell the artar for a 360 f10 fujinon, but I see one just went on ebay for over 800.00$
    Climbabout
    Tim Jones

What about a 355mm G-Claron? Those usually sell for around $500.00 range. However...I do not know how much smaller or ligher weight it is!

EDIT- I just remembered the 360mm Apo-Ronar would be a good replacement for your 14" Artar. It's smaller and lighter than a G-Claron. You see them on Ebay once in awhile mounted in a shutter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rodenstock-APO-R...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-Rodenstock...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by User Removed; 11-13-2006 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I see that this is your first post. Welcome. You have already received a lot of good opinions. Both this form and the Large Format Form have many threads on just this sort of topic. You can search here and there for more threads of interest. If you have MS Excel this link will lead you to a 2002 spread sheet with specs for many of these lenses. The prices are a bit dated , but the other details are current.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../LF8x10in.html

Good luck with your plans. We love to talk about these things. Hope it helps you.

John Powers

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    What about a 355mm G-Claron? Those usually sell for around $500.00 range. However...I do not know how much smaller or ligher weight it is!
    With a bit of patience, luck and "tactical bidding", I got my 355 G-Claron for about $100.

The lens (in barrel) was one of a set of three "old graphics industry lenses" - a 150, a 210 and a 355 G-Claron. Total price $40. Then it was just a question of finding a very bad lens in a good #3 Compound shutter (after making sure that was the shutter this particular G-Claron would fit in. Price about $80 - a shutter alone would cost more than poor lens in a good shutter.

Then I burned off what I'd saved by buying a brand new Copal shutter for the 210mm G-Claron...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post

EDIT- I just remembered the 360mm Apo-Ronar would be a good replacement for your 14" Artar. It's smaller and lighter than a G-Claron. You see them on Ebay once in awhile mounted in a shutter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rodenstock-APO-R...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-Rodenstock...QQcmdZViewItem
    The G-claron is at least as heavy and bulky as the artar I have - the ronar would not be a bad choice, but neither lens is as small as the fujinon, from what I've heard.
    Thanks
    Tim Jones
    Climbabout

Images
    Posts like this make me really angry. I have yet to catch a good lens deal on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    With a bit of patience, luck and "tactical bidding", I got my 355 G-Claron for about $100.

The lens (in barrel) was one of a set of three "old graphics industry lenses" - a 150, a 210 and a 355 G-Claron. Total price $40. Then it was just a question of finding a very bad lens in a good #3 Compound shutter (after making sure that was the shutter this particular G-Claron would fit in. Price about $80 - a shutter alone would cost more than poor lens in a good shutter.

Then I burned off what I'd saved by buying a brand new Copal shutter for the 210mm G-Claron...
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It takes a lot of time and good searching skills to get deals like Ole got. Many lenses are not listed clearly and I find that I spend a lot of time sifting through poorly described auctions looking for something of value. I've gotten good deals on things over the years, but nothing quite like that.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the really useful info provided. I'll certainly know what to look for when i finish building this camera. For anyone thats interested i'll post some pics of it on the camera building forum, when i eventually finish it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin