Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,796   Online: 784

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

10x8 ideal lens kit

Hi,

I am currently a 5x4 user, but i am intending to build my own 10x8 camera, and was hoping for some advice on what would a good selction of lenses to go for.

On 5x4 I mainly shoot lanscapes, but do some close up shots. I have a 90mm, 150mm and 210mm, and would like to have a similar selection on 10x8, but I am not sure of which lenses would give enough coverage and so on.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neil a 165mm Super Angulon, and a 300mm Symmar or Sironar would be my ideal lenses.

But I have a great, coated, 12" Dagor instead of the Symmar, which came with my camera and its superb. Unlike you I prefer wide-angle lenses and now need a lens wider than my 165mm Super Angulon, but that will be expensive.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-12-2006 at 04:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    This will have you covered....

165mm Super Angulon (Wide angle)

210mm-Yours might cover...what is it? (Decently wide)

300mm Nikkor-M or Fujinon-C (normal)

450mm Nikkor-M (abit longer than normal)

24" Red Dot Artar or 600mm Fujinon-C (Long)

Personally, I use the 450mm as my standard lens on 8x10. The 210mm serves as my close-up lens, and the 24" Artar is just my favorite.

Think about what lens you use the most with your 4x5, and purchase the equal focal length for 8x10 first.

If you let this thread go for too long, you will slowly have every LF APUG'er suggest practically every lens on the market.

All the best,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Neil a 165mm Super Angulon, and a 300mm Symmar or Sironar would be my ideal lenses.

But I have a great, coated, 12" Dagor instead of the Symmar, which came with my camera and its superb. Unlike you I prefer wide-angle lenses and now need a lens wider than my 165mm Super Angulon, but that will be expensive.

Ian
    Ian,

You can get a 150mm that covers 8x10 for quite cheep in barrel, but that is not THAT much wider.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For the longest time I simply used a Nikkor 240 mm and a Cooke XVa for cover most of my needs in 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi neil

i am a fan of old glass, and i would suggest a triple convertible.
    probably not as sharp as a process lens, or a nikon, schneider &C
    the one i have is a wollensak 12/20/25 ...it is in betax shutter,
    and for contact prints it gives me no worries. it'll even cover ( from what i have been told ) a 11x14, so no worries about coverage ...

goodluck!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Niel,

john has a good deal going with that triple convetible. The Wolly was one of the better ones.

Other lenses to consider for the 8x10 would be any G-Claron from 240mm on up to the 355mm, though I too am a fan of vintage glass and some of my favorites are the 19" Artar, 14" Commercial Ektar, 12" Dagor, and 10" Wide Field Ektar. IMHO, any of these in good condition with working shutters rival modern lenses.

For an extra wide lens my choice is the 159 Wollensak WA "yellow dot" It does a good job and they go for reasonable prices

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    Ian,

A 120 Nikkor SW might be worth considering.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    If you let this thread go for too long, you will slowly have every LF APUG'er suggest practically every lens on the market.
    Precisely. I tend to use wider lenses the bigger the film, somehow ending up using 210mm most on all sizes from 4x5" to 12x16"!

So I would pick 121mm f:8 Super Angulon (or newer equivalent)
    165mm f:6.8 Angulon (the Super Angulon is too big to carry)
    240mm f:5.6 Symmar (convertible to 420mm)
    355mm f:9 G-Claron

I didn't include the 210mm f:6.8 Angulon - they can be difficult to find. Mine is an uncoated pre-WWII one.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have been shooting 8x10 for a few months now. Up to now I have been using : Nikon 120mm SW F/8
    Nikon 150mm SW F/8
    Fuji 300mm CMW F/5.6 as well as Fuji 300C I was using for 4x5.
    Nikon 450mm F/9.

Honestly I dont think you can do wrong with the Nikon 450mm and any new 300mm lens. I just added a Cooke XVa to my arsenal, so I will be getting rid of the Fujinons and the Nikon 450mm.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin