Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,539   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    not to be a picker of nits but the image sand tufa #2 is listed as being shot with a 225 G Claron. What is a 225mm G Claron?

lee\c
    Good catch. Years back I bought a mis-matched Dagor type G-Claron from a bloke in the UK. Front is from a 240 and back is from a 210. Turns out it's sharper and contrastier than any of my other G-Claron's and it covers 810 with gobs of movements. It's worthless, so I keep it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    "The rest of the stuff, well, it's tired, isn't it. "

Some of the subjects have been done a lot but you brought something of yourself to them. And I thought "Chest Through Window" was a very strong photograph, not the least bit "tired," in fact just the opposite. If I came back from a four or five day trip and had one image as good as that I'd consider it a successful trip. John Sexton said that Ansel Adams estimated that he had made 40,000 photographs in his lifetime, of which about 1,000 had been shown in one form or another (exhibits, books, magazines), so 39,000 presumably were basically trashed. Admittedly, his standards for "keepers" was no doubt higher than ours but still, if Ansel Adams only had a 1-40 ratio why should we complain when we do that well (by our own standards) or better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim.............I don't think you give yourself enough credit, for what you've accomplished in the time frame you've accomplished it in. There's always quite a bit of discussion of the technical on these forums, that must be, because photography is very technical, but what I like about what you're doing with your photography is your risk taking, and not being afraid to fall on your ass, 'cuz U get right back up and continue trying.

Relating to what the other poster said, 1 out of every 10, or 20, as a potential keeper is dynamite, particularly since for some folks, their average is 'never'.

What I like about your Tonopah sagas is the panache/legerdemain aspect of it, throwing some lens cells in a sack, shaking vigorously, and then closing your eyes to pick out any 2 cells to use together and coming up with something interesting, the other standout facet of your work is your intuition in the use of selective focus/giving your stuff a tremendous sense of depth, which in the wrong hands can look garish, your stuff doesn't.

I asked you what I asked you because after seeing quite a bit of your stuff, I wanted to know what you were thinking, and what you said to me is par for the course, proud of the good ones, and want to bury the other ones w/a shovel, but I must say I don't think the other ones are all that tired.

I gotta tell you that the imagery of the desk surrounded by the reflection of the houses and the roofline is dynamite, it doesn't make any difference how you came about it, the image is here.

I'm glad I asked you the questions, because this is quite profound actually,.............'The short answer is that some photographs have the power to mesmerize us. And it doesn't have very much or perhaps anything to do with line pairs per mm. I'm just messing around with a whole lot of stuff trying to find out where that power is at.'

You said it all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim,

I am perplex by the sky in "Glorious Tree, Conway Ranch". How'd you get it so dark with so much light on the tree?

For me though, "Sand Tufa #2" has the greatest artistic appeal. Sure, it's been done before...maybe, maybe not. It doesn't really matter. The scene is beautiful - or at least your execution is. Given a choice of all of the photos presented, I'd pick "Sand Tufa #2" to display (but, then, I've never met Wilbur).

Oh, and..."White Mahogany Trunk #2 "...was it your intention to be so....sexually explicit?

As always, nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Jim,

I am perplex by the sky in "Glorious Tree, Conway Ranch". How'd you get it so dark with so much light on the tree?

For me though, "Sand Tufa #2" has the greatest artistic appeal. Sure, it's been done before...maybe, maybe not. It doesn't really matter. The scene is beautiful - or at least your execution is. Given a choice of all of the photos presented, I'd pick "Sand Tufa #2" to display (but, then, I've never met Wilbur).

Oh, and..."White Mahogany Trunk #2 "...was it your intention to be so....sexually explicit?

As always, nice work. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks all for the embarrasingly nice comments. I used a 25 red on the Glorious tree. Every movement on the poor old 2D was maxed on that photo and finally I did have to tilt up ever so slightly to get the top of the tree in.

As to WMT #2, now what would Edward Weston have said, "It's just a damn tree trunk" or something to that effect......
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim,

Love the shadow of the branch on the rock. Fantastic work!

R
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Beautiful photos, Jim. The ones from Bodie and Lee Vining Canyon are my favorites. I've seen lots of shots from Bodie but never any as etherial as yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin