Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,475   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Per Volquartz Eastern Sierra Workshop Report

I banged together a page of photographs and some text about Per's October Eastern Sierra Workshop that happened Oct. 23 - 27. About a 5 minute read with photos. You know the drill. Tell me what you liked or didn't. I may go back in and edit some of the similar shots of Lee Vining creek. A study of different styles from different lenses / formats but perhaps too similar to each other.

To me, the "Chest Through Window, Bodie" and "Shadow on Granite" seem perhaps to be the 2 strongest.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Ea...WSsierras.html
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the followup Jim. I really enjoyed the images (even if they weren't in color ).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That is one spooky ghost!
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work Jim, and Thanks for the update...really like the "white" trees.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim,

I like the 135 EWA Wolly. I like seeing the trees in the background and the Cooke seemed to give a bit of flare or glare in the image there.

Definitely one of the nicest places in the world.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Great shot of Wilber!

Shooter
    35mm
    Outstanding Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Jim!!

What is very interesting for me is the shot of the desk, which is outlined by the reflection of the buildings and their 'roofline', what is the most interesting part for me about the shot is the old, dusty bottle, sitting on the desk, with its neck broken off, I wonder who last drank from it, and how long it's been sitting there.

Of all your shoots, and the cameras/lenses you've used, and the effects you've gotten, in the direction your photography has taken you, what about it has made the biggest impression on you, has it been one thing, or a number of things?

What is the most satisfying thing about shooting the subject matter you've shot, and the way you shot it?

Ciao
    Jonathan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer View Post
    Hey Jim!!

What is very interesting for me is the shot of the desk, which is outlined by the reflection of the buildings and their 'roofline', what is the most interesting part for me about the shot is the old, dusty bottle, sitting on the desk, with its neck broken off, I wonder who last drank from it, and how long it's been sitting there.

Of all your shoots, and the cameras/lenses you've used, and the effects you've gotten, in the direction your photography has taken you, what about it has made the biggest impression on you, has it been one thing, or a number of things?

What is the most satisfying thing about shooting the subject matter you've shot, and the way you shot it?

Ciao
    Jonathan

Yipes! Good questions and no short answers. Of everything I shot on that trip, I wanted to see a good shot of Wilbur. I did 2 and then questioned my sanity. Did I just double expose the first sheet?? Am I that stupid? Well, yes. I then did a 3rd just in case. That's the one I presented. It could be better, but it gets the job done. The rest of the stuff, well, it's tired, isn't it. There's just so much excellent, superb really, scenic stuff that I get half hearted about making more. Mine wouldn't be better and likely not even as good as the rest that's getting made by the bajillions every day. That's why I walked around Bodie with a Pinkham lens. Maybe, just maybe. The shot you picked is the best of the others. It has real potential. I'm drawn to the 3 things done on Wednesday with the antique Conley lens also. That day I was by myself and I didn't do anything until finally in the afternoon I began to see a bit.

Someone could write a thesis on your first question. The short answer is that some photographs have the power to mesmerize us. And it doesn't have very much or perhaps anything to do with line pairs per mm. I'm just messing around with a whole lot of stuff trying to find out where that power is at. Sometimes I get close, mostly I waste film. Lucky for me the payment is in the journey.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    not to be a picker of nits but the image sand tufa #2 is listed as being shot with a 225 G Claron. What is a 225mm G Claron?

lee\c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin