Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,362   Online: 749

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5X8 camera

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    KEH has three 5x8 plate holders in their LF collectables section for $8 each. Cutting a sheet of 8x10 in half doesn't sound that difficult and it shouldn't be too hard to make a spacer to keep the film in the correct place in the plate holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I don't think there ever was a 5x8 inch camera made for film, but there are a few different ones for plates. I guess they are comparatively rare and expensive. It would be possible to have someone make a new one of course, but you'd need holders and would have to cut down film for it. Unless you made some kind of holder for an 8x10 or masked off a holder for a 6.5x8.5 camera. Anything is possible, given time and/or money...
    I owned a 5x8 camera (an Anthony) with film holders (not plate), and have handled one other (unknown maker). They are definitely less common than the plate holders, but they ARE out there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The reason I asked is I knew somebody in China is currently building and selling 5X8 camera, but I couldn't get the maker tell me the dimension and weight of the camera. It has a rotating back, has a lot of front movement but rear movement is limit to only base tilt and a little swing(about 20 degree). He has the 5X7 back and 4X5 back, also, he has the 5X8 holders.

Based on the fact that 8X10 film is fairly easy to get, it should be ok to just cut the film to make 5X8 films. what I heard the price is about 15 hundreds. I will try to make contact with him. If the 5X8 camera is not significantly bigger than my 4X5 and weight around 6 pounds, I think I will get one.

Thanks everyone for comment.

Alex W.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I owned a 5x8 camera (an Anthony) with film holders (not plate), and have handled one other (unknown maker). They are definitely less common than the plate holders, but they ARE out there.
    Well, no doubt about it - APUG is the place to learn strange new things!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    And now there is a 5x8 Rochester plate camera (1885) on ebay uk. Maybe it was a really common format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    I am thinking of get a 5X8 camera, it can also use 5X7 and 4X5 back. I searched the forum and didn't find too much info about it. I don't think there are a lot of people shooting at this format, am I right?
    there is a 5x8 film holder on the auction site right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin