Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5X8 camera

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

5X8 camera

I am thinking of get a 5X8 camera, it can also use 5X7 and 4X5 back. I searched the forum and didn't find too much info about it. I don't think there are a lot of people shooting at this format, am I right?

I guess this kind of camera would be a little bit bigger than 5X7 camera, but can anybody who used this kind of camera tell me exactly how big is it? Is it just a little bigger than 5X7 or it's close to the size of 8X10 camera?

Another question would be the lens. I assume the lens used on 5X7 can be used on 5X8 but with more limit movement.

Thanks in advance for comment and suggestions.

PS. I only plan to do contact print with this format.

Alex W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only 5x8 images I've seen come from an 8x10 with a splitter. Is there really a 5x8 camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was an old Anthony and Scovil catalog on the web. It had a 5x8 in it. Of course this was 100 years ago -)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've never come across a 5x8 camera either...

Just learned something new. Thanks Nick.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That catalog must have had every size possible. Sort of like hat sizes -))

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    The only 5x8 images I've seen come from an 8x10 with a splitter. Is there really a 5x8 camera?
    A lot of the very early American cameras came in 5x8. Rochester, Scovill, Anthony, etc all made them. Check out http://www.fiberq.com/cam/anth.htm There were lots of popular formats that are half of larger sizes: 8x10/2=5x8, 11x14/2=7x11, 14x17/2=7x17, 16x20/2=8x20, etc.

Finding film for 5x8 now typically means cutting down 8x10 film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    I am thinking of get a 5X8 camera, it can also use 5X7 and 4X5 back. I searched the forum and didn't find too much info about it. I don't think there are a lot of people shooting at this format, am I right?

I guess this kind of camera would be a little bit bigger than 5X7 camera, but can anybody who used this kind of camera tell me exactly how big is it? Is it just a little bigger than 5X7 or it's close to the size of 8X10 camera?

Another question would be the lens. I assume the lens used on 5X7 can be used on 5X8 but with more limit movement.

Thanks in advance for comment and suggestions.

PS. I only plan to do contact print with this format.

Alex W.
    5X8 would be a very rare format. Did you not mean 6.5 X 8.5? This is the old full plate camera and was once quite popular.

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't think there ever was a 5x8 inch camera made for film, but there are a few different ones for plates. I guess they are comparatively rare and expensive. It would be possible to have someone make a new one of course, but you'd need holders and would have to cut down film for it. Unless you made some kind of holder for an 8x10 or masked off a holder for a 6.5x8.5 camera. Anything is possible, given time and/or money...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    I don't think there ever was a 5x8 inch camera made for film, but there are a few different ones for plates. I guess they are comparatively rare and expensive. It would be possible to have someone make a new one of course, but you'd need holders and would have to cut down film for it. Unless you made some kind of holder for an 8x10 or masked off a holder for a 6.5x8.5 camera. Anything is possible, given time and/or money...

It's hard enough getting film for 7x5 – why make life really hard? What is so special about the format that couldn't be obtained much more easily by cropping a neg shot on 10x8 (or indeed 7x5).

Perhaps we should have a new section for "Masochism"? Or do we have one already, albeit hiding behind the "Wet Plate" rubrik?

Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    It's hard enough getting film for 7x5 – why make life really hard? What is so special about the format that couldn't be obtained much more easily by cropping a neg shot on 10x8 (or indeed 7x5).

Perhaps we should have a new section for "Masochism"? Or do we have one already, albeit hiding behind the "Wet Plate" rubrik?

Richard
    I think 5x8 would be an interesting format to use. I like the proportions and it is reasonably simple to cut an 8x10 in half. Now, the prospect of making holders seems a little more daunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin