Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,539   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do searches on "Crown Tripod" like this one here. A #2 would be just about right for that camera. The legs would go right into the big brass base of the camera and you wouldn't use the original Crown base.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks! I'm new to APUG and couldn't figure out how to PM you...glad you 'came by'. No ID on the camera itself?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, there were zillions of these. I have one just like it packed in the rafters that is waiting for me to take up glass plates. Half plate I think.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by big_ben_blue View Post
    I don't think that the camera is an Indian copy (why would someone in India put japanese writing on it). Japan had a formidable camera production long before WW2. Most of the ones I have seen (they pop up on fleabay every now and then) appear to be copies of the English compact style (like TP's, ROC's, ...).

Well, often I am wrong, I just make glass to fit the holes on the back of them, although, I still don't think this is Japanese, I used to speak the language fluently and was starting to learn to write it, when I got divorced from my first wife(who was Japanese) but again, that has been over 20 years ago...so quite possibly it is Japanese...anyway, Jim has jumped in and I am sure he has more information that I would ever hope to on these cameras as well as the rest of them, as I said, I just make screens to plug the hole on the back of them

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info, Jim. This one is half-plate too.

Dave's hole plugs are reputed to be amongst the best, so I hear. I am waiting to see by myself (probably another month and a half if the three month thing is still on).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would echo the thought that it is a copy of an "English" camera of c1900. I think they were called "Hand & Stand" cameras though I wouldn't fancy hand-holding one...! (OK, not what it meant)

Think Sanderson, Thornton Pickard, etc – the folding screen was typical. They were commonly copied in India, and apparently Japan. Does it come with bookform slides?

Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When you get the camera, post a close-up of the name tag. My limited Japanese has grown rusty over the past few decades, but a dictionary suggests that the two large characters could read something like number one. The smaller ones are too difficult for me to read accurately. If the old Japanese camera industry was like the early postwar motorcycle industry, there may have been countless companies producing a handful of cameras a year.

To avoid altering the original camera, perhaps you could clamp two disks over the brass tripod fitting with a tripod socket in the bottom disk.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ragc View Post
    Yes, matter of fact...it's in Japanese, or so I'm told. The name "King" appears also in latin alphabet. I would really like to know more about the camera, but I doubt it is well known. It will be a project camera when I receive it.
    It's Japanese. I believe the small characters across the top of the label read "Asanuma Shokai", or Asanuma & Co., a well-known Japanese distributor of photographic equipment which has used the "King" brand for a number of its products.

Still figuring out the larger characters...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    a dictionary suggests that the two large characters could read something like number one.
    I think that's right. The second character is the archaic form of the kanji for "go" (number), and one of the usages of the first character is for "first".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mr. Grad: Many thanks! Your information is fantastic.

Mr. Jones: You think like I do. I would not alter the camera itself. I will probably either get a #2 Crown Tripod or fabricate a plywood disk with three threaded inderts that I can bolt from the inside (if I find hand space there) with a standard tripod mount in the center. This one may end up with a modified lensboard to add swing (it looks like it has plenty of tilt). I also need to look into what I can do, without damaging it, to convert it from glass plate to film, although I have one glass plate holder (came with my Korona) I could use with it already. This one does not include any holders in the deal.

Mr. Kelham: What is a bookform slide? My wood plate holder is much like a filmholder, but thicker to accomodate the two glass plates. I gather that it must not be a bookform slide. Edit: I found the information at: http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photo...s%20large.html Now I know what it is! A modification is now in order. I will have to study the camera not to damage it.

Those are all the photos posted by the seller.
    Last edited by ragc; 11-15-2006 at 07:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin