Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,523   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's what I find for Asanuma & Co. LTD:

Established 1928
    459 employees
    $548,488,000.00 in imports annually
    Importer of Optical Instruments, Photographic instruments and equipment (medical uses)
    Brand Names: King, Fujicolor ?!
    Once part of Tokina

So, as their principal business was/is importation, the camera could have been made anywhere and "branded" with the King name.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Asanuma is much older than Tokina - it dates back to 1871. (See the 1871 entry in Philbert Ono's Japan photo history outline here.)

There was a brief period perhaps 20-25 years ago when camera lenses under the Asanuma name were sold in the US. For all I know, those may have been manufactured by Tokina, which later started to market lenses under its own brand.

Although Asanuma itself may have been only the marketer, I would not be surprised if your camera was indeed built in Japan.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Got it!

It's soooo light compared to my Korona! And in great shape too!

Excuse me while I dissapear...I'm off playing!

Edit: OK, here's the review: Incredibly light and compact, in very good shape with good bellows (usable). Has front and back tilts, back swing, front rise, back and front focus with telescoping back extension. All controls work well, although only the front and back focus are geared. No lens storage possible on-camera because of the small size, unless tripod infill (yet to be fabricated) is removed. Definitely a user, probably the favorite!
    Last edited by ragc; 11-16-2006 at 09:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added info

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ragc View Post
    It's soooo light compared to my Korona! And in great shape too!

Excuse me while I dissapear...I'm off playing!
    Enjoy!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm not knowledgeable about old equipment but you can see many photo of
    Asanuma King camera set used by a Japanese photo studio on the following page. I think such a set was pretty standard at Japanese photo studio around the war.

The three slots in the bottom of the camera are for tripod legs. Each leg goes to the slot. The photo shows Slik tripod adaptor to accomodate more modern tripod.

The camera was probably made by Tanakaichi, the predecessor of Nagaoka.

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r24631206

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Thank You!

Indeed, that is the camera!

Thanks for the valuable information. You have allowed me find the manufacturer. I appreciate it greatly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Triple extension, 3.5 lb. front tilt & rise, back tilt & swing. Leather handle broke shortly after arrival, hence dog collar handle. Need to make 5x7 and 4x5 modern backs, as back is for bookform holders. Need to make lensboards. Unlike Tanakaishis, which seem to have nickel-plated hardware, this has brass hardware, and is less ornate, although the wood parts look the same.
    Last edited by ragc; 11-18-2006 at 08:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin