Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,300   Online: 797

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

What is needed here?

How does this camera accept a tripod?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like some of the old panning style cameras, when you mounted on a round platform and could pan the camera..

But would not be hard to fit a plate to the bottom with a tripod mount and use as a normal camera, I am sure someone here knows this camera, but just for giggles, are there any name plates on the body anywhere?

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, matter of fact...it's in Japanese, or so I'm told. The name "King" appears also in latin alphabet. I would really like to know more about the camera, but I doubt it is well known. It will be a project camera when I receive it.

And don't laugh...I think you may be polishing some very fine Satin Snow for it right about now!
    Last edited by ragc; 11-14-2006 at 10:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might send Jim Gali a Private message, if anyone would know, I am sure he would, interesting. The lettering almost looks like Chinese instead of Japanese symbols, which if I remember right, there was/is a Shanghi camera company that produced cameras back the 30's before WWII

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I asked a Chinese friend to read it for me. He said it was Japanese, but that the character on the left bottom stands for "Number One".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, you might have got a hold of one of the Indian copies of many of the different LF cameras they have made over the years, it would be interesting to track down the year of manufacture on it, that may provide some more clues. anyway, it is a good looking camera, where did you aquire it?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this style of camera bed was quite common in the days (say around 1900), mostly with English compact style cameras. One would simply attach fitting tripod legs to the three brass receptor; or in other words, the camera bed acts as the tripod head itself. Problem is that it limits your options in obtaining interesting angles (basically things like tilting your camera and such are gone).
    I got a few cameras like that; most of mine accept the legs from the quite common Crown tripods, but your mileage may vary.
    Often, people adapted some sort [plywood] board to fit the opening (though it might require to take the inner brass pieces out of the bed), and added a normed tripod thread, to use their regular tripods.
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    eBay...$149.00, just the other night.

I also have a Gundlach Korona View in 5x7 (which I love) and I lucked into a 1903 Carl Zeiss Jena Universal Palmos, which had been converted to a B&J 5x7 back and which I "repaired" with a 4x5 back from a Graphic View I (the original was 9x12, I think).

Last edited by ragc; 11-14-2006 at 10:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added photos...Love to show my girls!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    You know, you might have got a hold of one of the Indian copies of many of the different LF cameras they have made over the years, it would be interesting to track down the year of manufacture on it, that may provide some more clues. anyway, it is a good looking camera, where did you aquire it?

Dave
    I don't think that the camera is an Indian copy (why would someone in India put japanese writing on it). Japan had a formidable camera production long before WW2. Most of the ones I have seen (they pop up on fleabay every now and then) appear to be copies of the English compact style (like TP's, ROC's, ...).
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, I may build some sort of fitting to mount it on a standard tripod head. Can't wait to receive it to check it out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin